1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid to DivX

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by HunterI, Jul 19, 2005.

1. HunterI

HunterI Member

Having a few problems, first I can convert to DivX, problem is the video is then slowed down and the audio stays the same length. How do I fix this?

AviChunkViewer says the file is not prepare for sequential viewing and that I need to reinterleave the file, again no clue as to how to do this.

Any help appreciated!

2. _viper_

_viper_ Member

Why convert it? XviD is better quality, so you could expect some video problems when going through that process...

3. HunterI

HunterI Member

Cos in my home dvd player the damn thing won't play properly.

4. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

Ok So I'm assuming if you're trying to play and Xvid in your Home DVD Player you have a Divx Xvid compatible player like the Philips Dvp642?

If it is the Dvp642 and when you try to play the XVID file.. If it's picture is messed up
    as soon as the movie starts press the System Menu on your Remote twice and when it returns to the movie it should be playing normal....

It's a pain but it works.... or you can just re encode it to divx with virtualdub

Not sure if this is your problem but if it is or if someone else is having the problem that's one solution

5. HunterI

HunterI Member

Panasonic dvd s295 actually. And with some Xvid movies it gives a stuttering look to the picture when somethings moving (normally the camera in the scene!) So i'm trying to reencode 2x 700MB halves of the movie, however it seems to stretch the video and gives it a slow mo effect and the audio is normal, and yes using Vdub

6. Kibz78

Kibz78 Member

Alot of Xvid files are encoded with packed bitstrem, which current players cant handle, and which is why it plays slowly and may stutter. Theres a very simple solution to this. Download a FREE program called Mpeg4 modifier from here: http://www.moitah.net/

What this prog does is, it analyses the file and if the file has been encoded with packed bitstream, it tells u. All u then have to do is tick a little box which says 'unpack', and click save. It then re-encodes the files in under 5 mins, and walla...u have a file which will player in ur player.

Give it a go.

7. HunterI

HunterI Member

OK Kibz78, very helpful utility. Didn't know about the packed stream thing with Xvid. Now its stopped the movies stuttering, one however lost sound :D lol if it's not raining it's pouring. But just wanted to thank you and say that utility fixed the video stuttering problems!

8. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Actually under the DXN Home Theatre profiles DivX uses packed bitstream. The issue is packed bitstream with > 1 consecutive bframes and some MTK based players. Check for a firmware update as I think a lot of players have been updated to fix the issue.

9. xzwer

xzwer Guest

what program can i use to convert xvid to divx? i can`t play xvid on my ps2 so i must have divx.

10. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

XviD is MPEG-4, DivX is MPEG-4. It should be able to handle one just as easily as the other.

11. xzwer

xzwer Guest

yes, but i don`t.. can`t you stop giving me other ways to watch the movie and just say what program i can use to convert?

12. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Unless you are double posting then I only did it once.
    So you are telling me that even if you change the fourCC to DX50, it still won't play? If so then it would be the settings used rather than the fact that it is DivX. As such converting to XviD, but with compatible settings would work just as well.

DivX6 I believe comes with a small util for creating .divx files. Otherwise VirtualDubMod, AutoGK, Dr. DivX, etc.

13. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

14. wmk333

wmk333 Member

hello
    am using Dr. divx 5.2.2 to change the xvid to divx normal which works with my samsung dvd divx player
    just open the program and choose the source video file wahtever the format is and onvert to divx, but i should say it takes at least one hour on idle pc
    urs
    wmk

15. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

Damn tmfloria, you're good! You just saved me a lot of sweat and tears. Well, maybe not all of that, but had I not read your post here, I'd be running all over the place trying to find a way to fix my Xvid problem by converting it to Divx. After checking out what you said about hitting system menu twice, it fixed my problem, but from now own, I'm encoding with Divx.

Thanks for the tip man!

16. ash002

ash002 Guest

I've just purchased a SAMSUNG DVD-HD850/XEU dvd player which is DivX compatible.
    I read a comment previously which said DivX and Xvid are both MPEG-4 and therefore I shouldnt have a problem playing any format on a Divx compatible player. - Is this correct?

Secondly, if I have Xvid files, compress them to get an AVI format, what do I have to do next to be able to write this .AVI file to CD or DVD.

Will the player read the file straight off if I simply write the file to CD or DVD, or is there some tool I need to get the correct format to play on the DVD player?

Any tips? Thanks

17. ash002

ash002 Guest

In addition to the last message, I would much rather write to a DVD than CD as I believe the quality etc would be alot better.

18. xchrisx

xchrisx Member

Good advice tmfloria, tried what you said on my Philips DVP630 and hey presto series one of Battlestar Galactica was viewable.

Thanks