1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid to DVD Using Cinema Craft SP

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dyprivat, Jan 26, 2005.

1. dyprivat

dyprivat Member

Hello everyone,
    I recently found that CCE SP seems to convert from avi to mpg better than my other programs, but I am having a problem with the audio. When trying to encode an Xvid into an mpg I get the following error:

"acmStreamOpen() failed: error = 15.
    The wave format is 8192"

I do have the necessary codecs (Xvid, Divx, AC3...)installed to play the file and convert it in most other programs (TMPGEnc, Roxio, Ulead...).
    If anyone could help me out with this, it would really be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Even if you could get CCE to read the audio (and if you frameserve with AviSynth you could) its audio encoding is known to be of questionable quality. A better way to go would be to demux the audio first (I use VirtualDub) and then use AviSynth to frameserve just the video to CCE for encoding. This guide has a little more information on frameserving AVI's:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avisynth_tutorial.cfm

If you have any questions on how to do it I'll be happy to help out. AviSynth looks a lot more complicated than it is.

3. dyprivat

dyprivat Member

Hey thanks alot vurbal,
    that's a good idea. I'm going to try it out for sure. I tried a method like this, but without using AviSynth. I am having another problem with CCE now though. When trying to create just an .mpv from the Xvid it's stopping at 99%. I have gotten it to work before this, but now it happens every time. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

4. dyprivat

dyprivat Member

Ok, I have now found that, it stops at exactly 1 sec remaining. Also, this occurs when trying to create a NTSC or PAL DVD .mpv file.

5. dyprivat

dyprivat Member

Ok, I have now found that, it stops at exactly 1 sec remaining. Also, this occurs when trying to create a NTSC or PAL DVD .mpv file.

6. dyprivat

dyprivat Member

Ok I think I know what the problem is. My Xvid has frame rate of 23.976 fps (PAL) and I want to make a NTSC DVD. When I try to convert the avi to mpv, using the NTSC template, it won't work. With CCE SP v2.7 it stops at 99% doing NTSC or PAL (???). I am now trying it on CCE SP v2.67 instead of v2.7. Now I can encode as PAL or NTSC but when using NTSC the fps is too fast. Can I convert to PAL .mpv, then make an NTSC DVD? With other NTSC video files? WTF this is annoying. Please help!

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Okay, 23.976fps isn't actually PAL or NTSC - it's film that can be telecined to NTSC. Since film is actually 24fps they slow it down to 23.976fps and then add pulldown flags to make it play at 29.97fps. That way the original progressive content is still there (which is what they made the Xvid from). All you have to do after you encode is use a program like Pulldown or DoPulldown to add flags that make it play as NTSC. If you author with DVD-Lab it will do this for you when you import the video file.

8. dyprivat

dyprivat Member

thanks again, I'll check our DVD Lab