1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xVID to VCD/SVCD Video is choppy. HELP

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by K1L1K, Jun 18, 2004.

1. K1L1K

K1L1K Member

I converted an xvid video file to vcd/svcd using tmpegenc. The resulting video is a bit choppy, even when playing on my computer. The original file is at 25fps and the covereted file is also 25fps.

2. sad_axe

sad_axe Member

what do u meen by choppy.?
    abvious converting xvid to vcd / svcd does'nt give u the same quality as a dvd2svcd rip.
    try to put the noise filter on 20 and 20 with an radius on 2, and you'lle get rid of the flickering blocks in the background.
    also, try converting with cce. if u think cce is hard you can try out dvd2svcd newest build. (then u dont have to read up on cce's configurations.)
    cce gives u a better quality if u ask me this due to multi pass vbr wich tmpgenc hasn't got.

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

tmpgenc does have 2pass vbr, which is enough.

could you post your settings, is it the wizard or custom?

did you chose PAL ? 25 fps is for PAL.

need more info

4. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

hmm this is wierd I converted a xvid to mpeg1 not to long ago its not choppy for me, ah make sure your using the right template use the vcd ntsc format template thats perfect for a mpeg. This is very odd.

5. K1L1K

K1L1K Member

I used the guide provided by this site to convert my xvid to vcd. I used PAL format btw, as suggested by the guide on this site.

6. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

ok give me a link to the guide you used, I suggestion you try NTSC to see if thats better though

7. K1L1K

K1L1K Member

I used PAL because the video file runs at 25 fps.

Link to the guide i used:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/3602.cfm

I also notice that durring play back on my dvd player, it gets choppy at some point and smooth at other points, but usually choppy more than smooth.

I'm watching sports(football) btw.

thanks.

8. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

I dont see the guide that your talking about. Just try the NTSC for gosh askes!

9. K1L1K

K1L1K Member

if you would care to read one word of that page I linked to you would see the guide. Please post your settings for tmpegnc so i can try it.

thanks

10. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

Are you using the latest version of Tmpgenc? Their just use the wizard and choose vcd ntsc.

Video-CD NTSC (MPEG-1 352x240 29.97fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps)

this is what I use for my mpegs.

TMPGEnc 2.521 is the latest version so make sure you got the latest version.

And about that link you gave me. They have a new guide that replaced it or whatever and that new guide its talking about subtitles and divx/xvid to mpeg1 but it doesnt talk about anything about pal.

And another thing the original file should be higher then 25fps, Can you give me some statistics on the original file.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Vegetto: You can not Properly Convert Pal Video to NTSC with Tmpgenc because it doesn"t do Proper Frame Rate conversions,(It does Frame Decimation and Duplication instead of Interpolation) and if he Lives in a Pal country and has a Pal TV and VCR then he Probably won"t be able to Play it anyways...

K1L1K: The Choppyness you are Talking about Sounds Like You are Suffering from Bitrate Spikes...
    Tmpgenc has very Bad Bitrate controll so it has a habbit spikeing the Bitrate Much higher than you set it so when this Happens your DVD Player has to suddenly spin the CD-R really fast so it can read the Increased data rate and when it can"t spin it Fast enough you Get Choppy Playback...Some DVD Player don"t have a Problem with this but Many do have this problem, so I suggest you use a Mpeg encoder that Has Better Bitrate controll Like MainConcept or use a Different DVD Player......Cheers

12. jevries

jevries Guest

DVD2SVCD does something weird with the framerate of XVID movies...when a XVID movie has a 23,976 framerate DVD2SVCD changes it to 29,97. and this results in choppy, jerky playback.
    Maybe someone on here knows the answer to fix that.

13. Phreak9

Phreak9 Member

hey guys...
    i'm trying to convert a *.VID file on a Mac to *.MPG file so that it will play on a DVD player... any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks a bunch!

14. knifeman

knifeman Member

I have the same problem. Might i add that I have two similar files. Exactly the same information appears when i view AVICodec info.

V Codec - XVID Mpeg-4
    A Codec - MPEG Layer 3
    Video : 1078 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 640*368 (16:9), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported
    Audio : 131 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

While converting through virtual dub, I can see it's not reading every frame properly. It reads one then skips every other one. And at some points, the video is fine (reads all frames). Definately something to do with the xvid codec used to encode the video. As there are no xvid settings, does anyone have any links to old versions of xvid, i think this will cure the problem we are having.

The problem is not a frame rate problem as i have tryed both pal and ntsc. The problem is not caused by the cd moving too fast due to different data rates. VCD format uses an almost constant video bit rate of 1150kbps. Anyway even running from my computer the final mpeg is jumpy. From what i can see the avi file is fine. There is something wrong with the XVid encoder the creator of the avi used.

I also tryed converting using "avi2vcd" which works fine (except its not free) and i dont really want a massive wattermark in the corner of the screen.

Anyone any luck yet?

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes the VCD format is supposed to use a constant Bitrate but that doesn"t mean that the encoder is going to Encode it that way..Encoders Like Tmpgenc have very Bad Bitrate controll and will fluctuate the Bitrate quite a Lot even when you set it to CBR.....

Also "AVI2VCD" is 100% freeware so if you have a Logo on the screen it is because of something else...
    Tmpgenc is also freeware for Mpeg1/VCD encodeing and is Much faster and a better quality encoder than AVI2VCD......

16. knifeman

knifeman Member

Converting video files never ceases to amaze me. There are infinite things that can go wrong. I have tried yet another program, Cucusoft AVI to VCD DVD Converter which converts the file fine in to MPEG without any logo crap. There are no skipped frames and the video is as smooth as the inputted avi. A very weird thing happens though. Sometimes a clip of the video is repeated because it goes too fast, but it keeps in sync with the audio. Very very weird. I think i will stick to DIVX avi from now on.