1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid to VCD/SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by acemecca, Feb 14, 2003.

1. acemecca

acemecca Member

I currently have Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers in XVID.avi format. Can u give me instructions and directions on what to use and how to create a CD or DVD so I can watch it in my DVD player? Thanks!

-Mecca

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

3. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

OK i've been playing around with that Two Towers file for a week and i finally have it all figured out and I have it on 2 1/2 vcd's. What you have to do is get a tool called avifixed, run it, that will fix the frames of the movie that are corrupted, theres like 6 of em. Now, run a program called virtual dub and load the file. Now go to video and select compression and make it divx. and also go to video and select full processing mode. Go to audio and select full processing mode and then go to audio compression, and select no compression. AFter this go to file<save as avi. Give it a name and let it run, after this you can convert it to VCD with no problems and teh first half will be about 850mb and the second will be the same. AFter you convert it look in those first two articles for a guide on how to burn it.

4. rvgrill

rvgrill Guest

I used AVI Fixed...but VirtualDub gives me the following error message when I try to load LOTR:

Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unkown)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatable codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable

Thanks in advance for any help...

5. Dela

6. rndmhero

rndmhero Member

hi,

i also have the two towers in xvid form. i have all the tools and followed all the instructions you guys have put up here. but i run into the problem that it only does the first 7 minutes. i try to play the movie in dvix (only first 7 minutes). any one else have this problem? and it would be muy appreciated if anyone could help me... oh and when i play the movie in a xvid player it plays the whole thing and not just 7 minutes...

thanks alot
    Random Hero

thanks for any help

Last edited: Apr 1, 2003
  7. Dela

8. rndmhero

rndmhero Member

well, i'll keep trying avi fixed (ive used it a bagillion times)...
    has anyone actually had luck getting it to a vcd?

9. Dela

YEp, VBR SVCD with DVD2SVCD and CCE SP. AviFIxed remopved the frames for me!

10. rndmhero

rndmhero Member

dela, ive run through the steps so many different times. but i still have the problem with virtual dub that it goes to about 7 minutes and shuts off. (i have this problem with another movie "tony hawks trick tips"). anybody know why this may be?

11. Dela

There is a corruption in the video or audio stream. Avifixed is the best at fixing them but if it doesnt work you might aswell forget it because trying to delete the frames with VirtualDUB will just make the sound go far out of sync!!

12. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

ok, u can run it through avi fixed and then solve ur frame issues. You don't have to do the virtual dub stuff, u can just use virtual dub to extract the WAV file for the sound and then put the xvid video in as your encoding video source and then put in the wav file from virtual dub as your audio source. You can encode it that way.

13. SnowBum

SnowBum Member

CRAZYmack i've tried just doing the audio to a wav file in virtual dub. Then using the Divx as the video in TMPGEnc along with the wav file for the audio. It all goes badly out of sync. I use Besweet or Audio convertor to change the wav file to a MP2 file and everything becomes honkey dorey in TMPGEnc.

This is in general, not directly related to the Two Towers files.

14. Wishkah

Wishkah Member

I've got a problem with this (My thread was about the LOTR Xvid as well) I use Virtual Dub, and when i save as AVI, it says Uknown error (-100) data may becorruped. but I've run AviFix...

15. SnowBum

SnowBum Member

Don't know if this is a help but the first time i got AVIFixed and ran it on the Two Towers files it did some weird things. The video then had that trail effect seen on 'eighties' pop videos. Luckily i'd backed it up and downloaded AVIFixed again, dumped the distorted file made a fresh copy and tried again.......success!
    Try again, you might get lucky.

By the way this is a wicked site! The guides and help given in the forums are second to none. A great big thank you to everyone, you've helped me no end.

16. rndmhero

rndmhero Member

my cd1 of the two towers screws up at exactly 7:50 minutes into it. but if i skip ahead 1 second its fine again.. and when i try avifixed it screws up and wont finish, at, you guessed it, 7:50 into it

17. Shoey

Shoey Guest

DivX(AVI)2VCD guide:http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=5ddccd80e8f6d76992480d6723e00e75&threadid=59488
    DivX(AVI)2SVCD guide:http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=5ddccd80e8f6d76992480d6723e00e75&threadid=59489

Shoey :)

18. mufasa

mufasa Guest

avi fixed does not work for me either. I started an account just to tell you all to try divxrepair its free and it works. I just used it on lotr. I am trying to convert to svcd as well. Here is the link to that prog.

http://divxrepair.sourceforge.net/

19. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

hey all I used divxfix on accident on lord of the rings then loaded it up into Tmpegenc and presto I got it to work by making it into a svcd. I dont know how it worked but it did. When I first got the file it wouldnt play till I installed xvid. I dont know what I did right but it worked .....(miracle maybe?)

20. LonelyGuy

LonelyGuy Member

Xvid to Vcd or Svcd, its a tricky one although not impossible. Here is very good and reliable solution to all ur problems. I read it on another forum so i m just passing it on.

Xvid is a video codec, its used in an avi (which is a container). Therefore, your xvid files ARE avi's.

First of all that LORD OF THE RING file, u have to make sure that the extension is .avi and not .xvid, mostly it is .avi anyway. I would suggest, first split the big file into 3 files(Thats how many Cd's u gonna need to burn it) and then change the extensions.

Next: Make sure Xvid latest version is installed and goto -->Start-->Programs-->Xvid and click on AviC (FourCC Changer), now select the video file(s) one by one, in this case all 3 LOTR files if u splitted them. Then change the Description Code and User Code to DiVX and click Apply. Quit the program.

Next: I dont really use TmpegEnc, i rather use nero for encoding, so thats wat i suggest u do as well. Nero will be able to encode and burn the VCD or SVCD but at cost of time. It will take much longer to burn a single CD than normal burning time.

As of complaint by some ppl about upside down problem. Frankly i never had that problem myself although i dont know about DVD PLAYERS (I DONT OWN ONE) but in computer these files work fine.

Hope it will help, any problems please drop a line.