1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid to VCD/SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by acemecca, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Then the tut I posted by ChickenMan should work just fine.

Shoey :)

2. kukaekev

kukaekev Member

I tried CRAZYmack's instructions. But i noticed that the .avi file that comes from virtual dub is crappy compared to the original! there is a huge loss in quality! is there anyway to retain the quality of the original?

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Ok, im wayyy too lazy to look back over the thread to see what he said but, did you have video set to direct stream copy or did you do a full re-encode of the video?

4. kukaekev

kukaekev Member

i did full processing mode.

5. Dela

hmmm, full processing mode? I would imagine that would have taken a long time eh? What exactly were you trying to do in the first place!

6. kukaekev

kukaekev Member

I just wanted to transfer it on to cd's so i can watch it on my dvd player, while keeping the quality. my friend bought some bootleg svcd copy from someone and the quality was great. i just wanna do the same.

7. Dela

So you used VirtualDUB, Ok now im completely lost! What were you trying to do to the video stream??

8. kukaekev

kukaekev Member

i just wanted to put a nice quality movie on disk so i can watch it on my dvd player.

9. kukaekev

kukaekev Member

I was just following his instructions.

10. Dela

Right, I'm still lost so this is where i'll step out, lol

11. oni103

oni103 Member

Hello all, has anybody succesfully put LOTRTT on vcd in the xvid format. If so I appreicate your help cause nothing in here has helped one bit. thx alot

12. Dela

well first of all, if you put it on vcd it wouldnt be in xvid format!

lots of ppl have managed it! there are just a few bad frames that cause all the shit!!

13. oni103

oni103 Member

yeah man i aware you can't burn xvid format on vcd, I'm just looking for better solution then the ones discussed, not be corrected on a minor mistake on my reply thank you very much.

14. takemyars

takemyars Member

Hi i have downloaded The Ring in Xvid format, but when i go to play it on Ultraplayer, the screen is green. I have tried using virtualdub to encode it with the Xvid codec, but when i try to play it it is still green. Where am i going wrong?!

15. Dela

What i recommend you look for are ac3 filters and the divx/ac3 codec!!

oni103, was just saying because you probably would have got answers from ppl telling you to burn it as data because it sounded like you asked for xvid on a cd!

16. takemyars

takemyars Member

Thanks for the advice Dela, once i got those how do i use them?! Sorry for sounding completely stupid!!

17. Dela

Just install them basically!!!

18. RNF1968

RNF1968 Regular member

Hey guys. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents on converting an AVI (Xvid) to VCD. I am assuming you have the appropriate video and audio codecs installed. I used a program called DECOMPRESS that comes with AVI2VCD. I use this program to decode the audio because when I tried to read the file into any conversion program (TMPGenc in my case) it would say unsupported format. The output of this program will give you a new AVI file which will be a little bigger since the audio is decompressed. You will also notice the quality is maintained. I took this new file and read it into TMPGenc without getting any errors. From here you can choose your output. I choose VCD. It took less than an hour an hour to run JUNGLE BOOK2 (1 hour 13 minutes) on my P4 2.4ghz. Created a VCD file using VCDEasy and burned it using NERO. These programs are fairly easy to use and figure out. I figured them out myself or with the help of forums like this. Any how, this seems to be the quickest and easiest way to do it as far as I am concerned. Total time I would say with my computer should be about 2 hours from start to final burn. Hopefully I didn’t sound like an idiot trying to explain what I did! :) Take care and good luck.

19. grooo

grooo Member

hi all...im new to this forum but i have been cutting and encoding anime and movies for vcd for a time now...and i would like to throw my hat in the ring....now you have your .avi(divx...xvid.mmmm omg its a mirror)(any size)assuming the audio is fine(ac3 will take some doing...ac3 is dolby btw...you convert to mp3 or wave b4hand if its the case)start tmpgen and load up the .avi the vid sorce and the audio sorce are the same ..good if you ripped the audio off as a .mp3 then point the audio to the appropriate sorce...then we get serious...say we have a movie thats w/screen you will have to put black lines top n bottom(i will explain "tmpeg "will do it for you)im in australia so i will quote pal(not nstc)as some old telles wont change to w/screen automatically...go in to settings and have a fiddle(this is generic to btw)if you want you can auto load a setting ...vcd pal is good should be mpeg 1 352 by 288....in the advanced section of settings you have options down the bottom..."clip frame" is the one we want enable it and double click ...it opens up a new bit , there are three options clip , arrange and mask we want mask ...as you will see the pic is now wide screen on a normal size screen....hurahhhhnow if you have a long file more than 75 mins then in the advanced settings there is a option "sorce range" click it and you can do a cut job(go off frames for the cut eg if its a 2hr vid then cut it in 2.....from 0 to 103298 cd1 103298 to end cd2) click ok and check settings ...is it at the right resolution...for my area anyway...is the audio right(do you need to rip it and correct the audio sorce)oh and the Vidio Arrange Method is ........full screen [keep aspect ratio] now mpeg 1 is vcd ...mpeg 2 is svcd ....mpeg 4 is a dvdplz reply if ive left any thing out ...and nero and xvid =upside down on my system.....convert to mpeg first then burn baby ...burn

20. Dela

Here's what i do!

Run DVD2SVCD with CCE SP already setup on it!! Set the cd sizes to 800mb and let DVD2SVCD set the birate for me! Then go to the cd-image settings and grab all the info from the movie from IMDB and use the front cover as the title for my SVCD. Make sure i have change cd pic selected and that i have chapters every 5 minutes! Then decide by the length of the movie the amount of passes im going to do! Usually i do 5 or 6 passes which takes about 5 or 6 hours. Then when i start the encoding, 5 or 6 hours later i have a lot of new files including my cd images so i use Alcohol 120% to burn them and then I watch excellent quality on my DVD Player!! :D