1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid won't play

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by FiremanDB, Jan 28, 2007.

1. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

I have the latest stable ffdshow build installed and still cannot get it to play. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Last stable ffdshow was like 2004?
    Xvid what? Xvid is just a video codec, are we talking a raw stream here? ffdshow is just a decoder. No splitter to parse the video stream and ffdshow won't be used also it won't decode Xvid if you don't have it enabled to do so.

If it is an avi, windows comes with an avi splitter, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You might also want to try mplayer or VLC. They both use internal decoders/splitters and can handle Xvid in a variety of containers as well as raw.

3. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

Thanks for the reply. I am not an expert in this field by any means, and when you spoke of splitters to parse the video stream you might as well have said it in Chinese because I have no idea what that means. All I know is I have an Xvid torrent that was downloaded but will not play, while I have many other Xvid videos on my computer that will play. Seems to me if you have an Xvid decoder, it should decode an Xvid video. Thus the reason that I am lost on this issue. What do you recommend for codecs to play Xvid. You are obviously not a fan of ffdshow? Also, do I really need to install a new media player for this? Thanks for your help.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

ffdshow is fine.

As I said there is no such thing as an "Xvid" file. Closest would be a raw XviD video stream, although since online mostly avi is used it is often referred to as an Xvid file, but an Xvid mkv, ogm, mp4, nut or whatever could also be called the same.

In order to have audio and video together the streams need to be in a container. This is where the splitter/parser comes in, it takes the container and splits the video, audio, etc. streams and parses them to the decoder. No splitter, means the decoder is useless since there is no recognisable video stream for it to decode.

Did you try mplayer or VLC? Quite possible that the file is simply broken.

5. FiremanDB

FiremanDB Regular member

The file downloaded in about 20 different zipped files. I unzipped one and tried to play and it would not play. I went back and unzipped all of the files and it played fine.

Just a mistake by me (again), not my computer or codecs. Thanks for your help and patience with dorks like me!