1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha CRW3200EZ write speed problem

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by ph0bia, Mar 24, 2003.

1. ph0bia

ph0bia Member

Its been a while now since I've owned my Yamaha CRW3200EZ cd burner and it worked great for the longest time but just within the last 3 to 4 months I have been having problems with it. For some reason it will not write at full speed (24X) anymore....it always starts at 24X then drops down to 16X even though I bought media that is able to burn at 1x-48x. I've tried a couple of different brands of media (verbatim and imation) and got the same results with both of them. Also I updated my firmware and still nothing changed. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this problem would be occuring?

2. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

The Yamaha 3200 is a P-CAV burner.
    In 24x mode, it starts spinning at full speed for a while. Meanwhile, the actual burning speed increases, as the burning runs from the center to the edge, until it reaches 24x, its maximum reliable burning speed.
    Then, to maintain the linear 24x speed, it must slow down the engine as and when the burning goes further to the edge of the CD.

Does it behave like this ?

3. ph0bia

ph0bia Member

Not really cause it starts at 24x and holds for about 30 seconds then drops to 16x and remians there for the remainder of the burn process. Three to four months ago it was not doing this and I have been using the same software (nero v5.5.5.1) this whole time. I think the cdr companys may have changed something with their media cause back when I bought cdr's that burned at a max of 32x it dropped down to 20x from 24x. The higher the burn compatiblity the slower the burn....or so it seems. I really just don't know what is causing it....

4. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

But how do you know the burn speed ?

5. ph0bia

ph0bia Member

Nero tells you the burn speed during the process.