1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V357 receiver, component video question

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by chrisfunk, Jan 15, 2006.

1. chrisfunk

chrisfunk Regular member

Hi ya'll

Maybe somebody who understands this can help me....

I think I want to buy the Yamaha AV 57 package with the
    RX-V357 amp.

I use component cables for my DVD and also for my xbox
    and with only one input on my LCD I need some way of switching them
    and I don't really want one of those £15 switch boxes.

I need a new 5.1 system anyway and have had a yamaha before and was very pleased with it (old pro logic DSPA590, it sounded great!)

This RX-V357 has 2 x component inputs (and obviously 1 out) so it sounds like a dream come true as I will be able to switch my video and digital audio in one go. (I know other amps can do this but this thing is only £170)

[bold]Now the question:[/bold] It says the component inputs are "720p & 1080i" compatible. It says this in all the brochures and website.
    My xbox puts out 480p and my PAL dvd puts out 576i. I will never have the need for 1080p so not worried about that, but by supporting 720p does that mean it will also wotk with these 'lower' standards that i want to use?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  2. gear79

gear79 Guest

it all depends on what your tv supports..
    if its native resolution is 480.. then you have no real use for a 720 or even 1080...

3. AyanGr

AyanGr Member

Hi,

sorry if my reply comes too late, but anyway here it is:

I am using the Yamaha RX-V357 amp with this exact configuration (xbox + dvd) plus a tv tuner. As output i am using a projector, not a TV. The projector is capable of 480p, 720p and 1080i. The xbox with a special component cable YPbPr (i think it is called "high definition av pack") can output up to 1080i. However most games are either 480p or 720p. Games like Fifa 06 on 720p have an amazing difference, compared to the results you get with the original xbox cable (yellow-red-white).

Anyway, the Yamaha amp simply passes through the components inputs to the component output so it actually depends on what your TV or Projector can support. The TV absolutely MUST support component (red-green-blue) inputs if you want to use 720p etc.

Important note: The Yamaha amp is NOT capable of "switching" for exmaple a "red-green-blue" component input to simple video "yellow" output. The output type must match the input.

4. chrisfunk

chrisfunk Regular member

Thanks, not too late at all, i haven't got round to buying it yet.
    That's what i hoped. Yes my tv is high def and i am also running my xbox (in NTSC mode) with the HD AV Pack. Doesn't it just make sooo much difference!
    I just wanted to be sure that if I ran the component through the amp it would not degrade the signal.
    I am sure it will be fine now and I will start saving again! (spent the money i had put aside!)