1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha "Sound Field" Options HELP!

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by yerswtazn, Aug 20, 2008.

1. yerswtazn

yerswtazn Member

i recently purchased a real center channel speaker (Mirage v2 CC) to match with my Mirage Nanosat thinking that a better center channel speaker would help with my problem.

I'm using a Yamaha RX-v659 and when i switch the 'sound field' option to surround sound (standard or enhanced) or to various movie settings (like Adventure, Sci-fi) i get a muffled or quieted center speaker.

One of the only times i get decent center sound is if i set the 'sound field' to "7ch. Stereo" and i was wondering if in that setting i'm getting 5.1 off of my blu-ray movies or do i have to set the 'sound field' to "surround" or "movie"?

if i do have to set it to "surround" or "movie" how do i get my center speaker to sound better? the other four speakers are loud and clear (including the subwoofer) but dialogue in movies are quiet and muffled.

i'm using a PS3 to play blu-rays, the audio is comming through an optical cable, i have it set to bitstream and i have DD5.1 & DTS5.1 checked.

sorry, i've been searching for this topic for a very long time and havent been able to really find any real information; any input would be great! thanx for reading the post and sorry for making it so long.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

It sounds like the polarity is wrong, on one end of the speaker's wire.
    Speaker wire will usually have a copper & silver colored side, or one side will have a thin white line, or a raised ridge when the two wires are pulled apart. Whichever side of the wire is hooked to the + side on the receiver, needs to be hooked to the + side on the speaker too. It kinda sounds like it has them switched on the speaker. Switch the + and - sides, on back of the speaker, and see if that makes a difference.

No, you're not getting 5.1 surround when in 7ch. stereo mode. When you're getting 5.1 surround, it should say "Dolby Digital" in the LCD window, on front of your receiver. I have the HTR-5940, and I think I have my DSP set to "Movie", but as I said, it shows Dolby Digital, when playing 5.1 surround. It shows Dolby Digital EX, when playing 6.1 etc.....

Only other things I can think of is maybe the speaker calibrations is off some, or that center speaker isn't a match to your fronts, even though it's the same brand. Brands have different models, and your particular center speaker may match another model of your brand.

You may want to go to one of these places, and ask about this, if what I've said doesn't help. A home theater forum will have a lot more people, that is more familiar with stuff like this.
    http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/index.php
    Good luck!