1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yep another which Burner Drive to buy???

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by kentucky1, Nov 26, 2006.

1. kentucky1

kentucky1 Member

I read all the posts and it would seem the liteon is the most reccommended.However when i read the reviews at newegg i see many many people are not happy with them?

Heres what i want:
    Reliable
    Handle many burns a day
    Bit set changeable(without major surgery)
    Price is not an issue
    Quiet
    Quality
    Dependable
    Burns great on almost all dvd+R media.

Im replacing my sony710 burners.

Thanks for your help and advice.
    Also if you still reccommend the liteon from the newegg site which model do you think fits my criteria?

thanks
    kentucky

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Since the BenQ DW 1650/1655's are virtually gone I will go back to recommending NEC drives. They are inexpensive, reliable handle all media well and are real workhorses. Take a look at the 7170, they won't booktype/bitset out of the box but when coupled with modified firmware from Liggy and Dee, they can be set once to booktype your +R media.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  3. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I'll go behind the NEC man :) and stick up for LiteOn. (nothing wrong w/ NEC though)

They do in fit your description.
    I have used them for a few years and have been quite happy. Burned anything I have thrown at them.
    You might want to look at the SHW-160P6S - I've used that one for the past few months and doing well.

Your Sony 710's are actually oem Liteon SOHW-1633S. So if you liked them may want to stick w/ LiteOn.

Another one to look at is Plextor since price is not an issue - they're around $100+ but are said to to be the king of burners.

4. kentucky1

kentucky1 Member

thanks...nec was what i was thinking about...the plextor cant be bit changed can it?

5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

The real Plexy's are capable of bitsetting yes. Plextor, much the same as Sony uses other manufacturers to make drives for them...we call this rebadging and is what Binkie is referring to when she said that your Sony drive was actually a Litey.

You can check here before buying to make sure you get the genuine article.