1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes or No "before" I spend $3K

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dukhnt, Dec 1, 2005.

1. dukhnt

dukhnt Member

Hi guys. Simply put, even if I read every magazine and article I could find on TV's I still wouldnt know as much as some of the people on this Forum. I appreaciate all the wonderful help and guidance from computers, to audio and PS-2 to wires. The people here are great, and know what they are talking about. I really want to thank you in advance for your help.

With that said, here is the question. Its new TV time. The TV will be going in a basement, used most often while watching movies (DVD) I dont plan on using it for ps or xbox much, but perhaps a little. I dont know how to word what I am looking for in terms of TV lingo, so let me use car talk to kinda relay what I am looking for.

I dont want a Geo Metro, however I dont have enough money for the BMW 7 series. Does that help? I really like the looks and size of the Sony KDF-E60A20. I also looked at the new Sony 60" KDS-R60XBR1 with SXRD. I could see a difference with the SXRD, however I didnt feel it was a 1500.00 dollar difference. Before I spent 3,000 on a TV, I wanted your opinion. If there is something about this TV that isnt desireable, please feel free to tell me. Any input, positive or negative, will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your time.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

While the KDF-E60A20 is an excellent set I preffer Samsungs DLP sets to Sonys LCD set (in general). The difference between DLP and LCD is very subjective so I would recommend looking at a Sony LCD and a Samsung DLP in-store (side by side if possible).

My reasons are, DLP has a much higher fill rate (or to say that there is alot of unwanted space between the pixels in an LCD panel) than even the best LCD tvs. Because of LCDs low fill rate it (as a technology) suffers from screen door effect which manifests itself as a soft image. Basicly I feel that DLP (as a technology) produces a sharper image.

Secoundly, I think the colors on the KDF-E60A20 are over-saturated while the Samsung 61" seems to be dead on. But that could be a set-up issue.

Lastly, to be honest, I think you would be happy with either choice as they are both top notch products. I will say that the LCos based SXRD set does out preform both sets. The improvment is seen (mostly) while viewing 1080i content. Both the Sony KDF-E60A20 and Samsung HL-R6167W are 720p sets that will never be able to reproduce a 1080i image. The SXRD is capable of producing a 1080p image (which means it has twice the amount of power need to produce a 1080i image; over 2 million pixels; No screen-door effect; No Rainbow effect).

Excellent car metaphor,
    Ced