1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yet another playback problem...I've tried everything

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Naymlis, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Naymlis

Naymlis Member

Ok, so recently I had to reformat my computer and all that mess because something happened with my codecs and something or other and was getting BSODed all over the place. I got that fixed and my videos were playing beautifully, but then something else happened so I had to reformat. Now I'm in the process of getting everything back up and running and I'm stuck on this video playback problem.

I can't get AVI files to play. Windows Media Player won't download the codec and any other players all have that scrambled cable look, you know? I downloaded ffdshow, DivX, XviD, 3ivx, K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, MPC, VLC, probably some other stuff too. I know that you can't overload codecs, so I tried each of them one at a time and nothing ever worked. I used GSpot and it said I needed XviD and that I had it installed, but it still wouldn't work. Any time that I could somehow get the video to play without the scrambled look, it was very dark and looked super saturated.

Whenever I was trying to get AVIs to work, all the other types (MPG, MPEG, WMV, etc) were playing very dark and saturated. Now, I've uninstalled everything and AVIs still aren't working and the others are working fine again.

Anybody have any insight?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  2. theridges

theridges Guest

i have no clue, i just throw the k-lite pack on all my pc's to play AVI Ect. and it works like a champ...VLC should play about everyfile known to man kind lol..what movie's r u trying to watch exactly??