1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yo guys and gals :D im new to this and need some advice...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by hunter103, Nov 4, 2004.

1. hunter103

hunter103 Member

yo peeps

Right have an xbox motherboard, no hard drive, no DVD Rom, just the motherboard complete with powersupply and controller ports, case ect

i want to make it into a beast of a unit, maybee with a linux boot but first i need to know if i can actuly get it working with diffrent hard drives and roms, ive notaced the power supply for the rom is verry diffrent from a normal PC powersupply, and to add another rom to it i would need to split the power from the Hard drive cable over to the new rom,

i guess my questions are,

1 with what ive got is it worth even trying?
    2 can it be done?
    3 and how?

thanks for your time in reading this,

-Jim-

2. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

You can hook up a LARGE hard drive to it and make it into a gaming beast.. it's probly no good for linux with the processor. So get a modchip, stick a hard drive in.. no need to have a DVD just run all your games from the HD. A 120GB will hold about 50-60 games.

EDIT: You can use a powersplitter for the DVD Rom but remember PC drives can't read Xbox games.. you might wanna buy one off eBay, or just live with a HD.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]www.modder.ca - Mod Chips and Premods available locally in Toronto with shipping to all of North America.[/small]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  3. hunter103

hunter103 Member

Thanks, i dont want to play xbox games on it, im looking to use it more as a very very mobile server (i do a lot of Moveing about, Lan Parties ect) is there any way possable i could use it under windows or linux as a server?

and when you mentioned before about storeing games on it are you talking about useing a OS to Orgonise this or does the modchip have its own bios menu that sorta operates as a OS?

4. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

A modchip will let you install linux on any hard drive.. www.xbox-linux.org. The Xbox cannot run windows.

By storing games, I mean Xbox games... and there are OS'es, or dashboards, available to launch these games. Of course if you want linux games, they'll be launched from linux..

5. hunter103

hunter103 Member

Cool so if i buy a modchip, i can install linux on the xbox, great :D do you kno anywhere where i can get information on everything step by step, as i said in my first mail ive never done this before

thanks greatley for all your help
    -jim-

6. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

www.xbox-scene.com

Check out the Tutorials and Forums.

7. Billyfett

Billyfett Regular member

Your gonna have to buy a DVD-Rom which will run (US $)
    About 60-90, so If you do that, You might spend a lil extra get a used one and have spare parts fotm the other.

8. hunter103

hunter103 Member

Ok cool. ive had another idea tho.. maybee i should go to a site where they sell pre modded xboxes, that way im saveing the trouble of doing it myself and messing it up, when this one broke origonaly i was going to just buy a fresh one anyway (just coz xbox's kick ass as standard)

So if i baught an ready modded xbox what chips and roms and things am i looking for, and is there anything i want to avoid?

9. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

I sell premods at my site, www.modder.ca; email sales@modder.ca for more info.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004