1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You guys have scared me to death

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ricsalt, Jul 26, 2004.

1. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

After reading brobear and a newbie discuss burn problems, I fear the worst on my rig.

I have a Dell 4600C and just hooked up the new Sony external dual layer drive. I loaded the bundled Nero software (yikes) but InCd would not load because 'Veritas-drive letter access' was detected.

The Dell comes with Sonic (I believe this is the source of the DLA conflict) and Dell Media Center.

I have Shrink and Decrypter. To avoid issues with conflicting software and software writing pakets, should I delete Nero, Dell Media Center and Sonic before burning my first DVD?

Thanks-Richard

2. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Geez- sorry about this post- I'm not even in the right forum- I got distracted by the thread

Richard

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Veritas DLA is part of the "Record Now" bundle, and along with all Packet writing software will give you more trouble than it is worth.
    You must get rid of this, or nothing is ever going to work right.

4. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Thanks for the reply- Due to being a "Newbie" I can't speak from experience but the writing sure seems to be on the wall.

I noticed the disclaimer in the manual for my new Sony DRX-700UL DVD drive. Sony is not responsible if the one uses Freeware, shareware or generic software. It also warns against competing programs on your system and how this could lead to damage or at least instability of your drive.

Richard

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

The good news is that most Dell machines are very reliable, and well built. So there should not be too many troubles.

Don't worry about InCD, it's the same as Direct Letter Access, and is useless. It is a packet writing package which will treat your DVD/CD as it would an HDD. Avoid using this like the plague. Better still, uninstall it.

Try & get by without uninstaling any of the Dell software - it's generally okay.

Re. Shrink & DVDDecrypter, these both happily exist on the same PC.
    You can rip with Shrink, and save to ISO image which can be burned either with Nero or DVDDecrypter.
    Use whatever works for you.

I would recommend getting hold of a DVD-RW disc too, so you can practise without wasting blank media. If you get an RW wrong, just wipe it & try again. If you get an -R wrong, you have a new coaster.

I still back up to ISO image, and always test this to an RW first. If this is okay, I then write a real DVD.

LOL.

6. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Great feedback-Thanks for all the contributions- I'm starting to get a handle on how all the parts work.

"Can't see the forest for the trees?" Post on afterdawn and have someone help you out.

Richard