1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You guys may not believe this......

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by sadsac, Mar 29, 2005.

1. sadsac

sadsac Guest

You regulars may not believe this, but:

My daughter scratched up one of my original DVDs pretty bad. I tried to copy it so that I would have a backup. I had 4 VOBs that ABSOLUTELY would not copy.

I tried the toothpaste trick, but it put a lot of swirl marks on the disk and the same files would not copy.

As a last resort, I tried some Turtle Wax scratch and swirl remover.......

Viola. Everything copied and the drive didn't even slow down when using DVD decrypter. ~5000 kb/sec.

Of course, I tried it out on an old AOL freebie that I got in the mail first.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2005
  2. vike

vike Member

I do believe you, and I still wouldn't want to try it. :p

3. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Other than a few minor swirls, the disk looks almost brand new now. If I worked at it a little longer, I could probably get those out too.

4. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I initially tried the dremel, but that didn't work very well.....again, I tested it on the AOL frizbee.

Good old elbow grease is what gets the job done!

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I got a friend who used to detail cars for a living and he stole some industrial strength buffing compound from work. He uses that on all his scratched discs and he says it always works.

6. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I think I'll wax my dvd's every six months like my car. ---zen-->

7. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Did you buff out the "BB" chip?.....:->

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I swore I wouldn't respond to any BB chip posts anymore, so forget you ever read this post.

This message will self-destruct in 10 seconds.

9. wild77

wild77 Guest

What do you have to lose if the disc won't play!

Nice tip sadsac,I like your smiley looks like Nephilim was aiming at you!

10. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I started to tell you guys to send me your BB disks before you burned them and I would try to buff out the chip......

The dremel with sanding attachment would probably work for that....

On a serious note, I used a cotton ball to do the buffing. There may be something softer/better to use, but the cotton ball worked great. A chamois cloth would probably work great too.

And I tried the Turtle Wax brand because that's what I had in my basement. I'd venture to guess that a higher dollar brand would do even better. Maguiers is well known for quality carnuba. I might pick some up the next time I'm in Wally World.

Hopefully, I won't get any more of my disks scratched, so I won't have to worry about it. (I really don't think that will happen). I'll have to put them up so my little one can't get to them. I guess that's the beauty of having a backup to use on a regular basis. Hell, while I'm at it, I'd better put them up so my wife can't get to them. She likes to smear peanut butter on them. (I'm REALLY not kidding about this. I had a disk start skipping after she handled it. When I checked it, there was a dab of peanut butter on the disk. She must have enjoyed her PB&J a little too much. Luckily, none stuck on the laser.)

Nephilim was actually aiming at Flip, but he aimed a little low. Flip was standing on my neck for that thread I posted in Safety Valve when the shot was fired.

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I'm gonna have to get me some of that Turtle Wax stuff. I got a couple of CD's I ripped to my PC and some of the songs skip.

12. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I had to press fairly hard when buffing to get it to work. I used tiny circles all the way around the disk. Then I buffed it with a clean cotton ball. Finally, I washed it off with water and dried it. The scratches weren't really all that deep. There were just a lot of them. And they were in the right spots to make the disk not work.

I was really shocked at how well the scratches buffed out. I initially thought that since the disks were plastic, it would be a futile effort.

I was thinking that mineral water or mineral oil might work to hone the scratches even finer. I might try that on the AOL frizbee and see how it works before trying it on my DVDs. But it would be pointless if I can get most of the scratches out with the Turtle Wax.

As Wild77 said, what do you have to lose if the disk doesn't work anyway.

13. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Wax on....Wax off !!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  14. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I thought about "sand the floor" and "paint the fence", but they seemed to be a little taxing for my disks. I opted for "wax on, wax off".

15. duftopia

duftopia Member

Okay here's a good one!, I have a vaio and record films for my uncle on DVD r/w's, he gets to view them on a genuine SONY dual deck I dished out 2 bills for!. So why is it he has trouble viewing the r/w's made on a sont on a sony when the same disk work fine at home on a $39 coby player?

Not to mention my friends rca 5 disc changer has serious issues on R/W's and DVD's as well?, its amazing how the cheap peice of cr%$ works and the expensive machines sometimes from the same company have issues!

Duftopia

16. wild77

wild77 Guest

Try using different media most stand alone players don't like RW discs.

DVD-R or DVD+R check the manual for your stand alone for disc compatability.

17. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Even those standalone compatibility charts lie sometimes. Supposedly my DVD player doesn't play +R's or either RW, but they all seem to work fine to me...oh well.

18. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

So does my Panasonic. Book says no +R/Ws , but they seem to play just fine...

19. squizzle

squizzle Active member

it's kind of ironic. This thread is about using car wax to buff out discs, and the advertisement at the bottom is for car wax. At least mine is. Thinking about ordering some...

20. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

The advertisment for me is for "penile enlargement" what is that? Should I order the free video and if so would anyone like a copy since I can convert vhs to dvd?