1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MOD-CHIP TO PLAY BACKUPS!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Dank, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Dank

Dank Regular member

NO MATTER WHAT!! FINAL ANSWER!

[​IMG]
    Sorry had to get that off my chest..

2. Dank

Dank Regular member

Since this shit is starting again
    BUMP!

3. dmklap

dmklap Member

You dont need a modchip installed in your xbox if you flash your TSOP with a good bios. So, if you know how to flash your TSOP you won't need to have a modchip installed in your xbox.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2003
  4. Dank

Dank Regular member

still a modded chip tho innit? and i think that you have to have a modchip installed to flash the TSOP not sure tho...

5. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

You dont need a modchip installed in your xbox if you flash your TSOP with a good bios. So, if you know how to flash your TSOP you won't need to have a modchip installed in your xbox.

Yes but you need to install the modchip in the first place to flash the TSOP and then take the modchip out.

6. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

So no matter what, you will need a modchip.

7. Dank

Dank Regular member

my point exactly mudvayne.. you can take it out but you need it to flash the TSOP...

8. strings41

strings41 Member

How do you flash the TSOP? Please describe. This is an information site. We all want INFO.

9. Dank

Dank Regular member

10. dmklap

dmklap Member

You are correct you will need a modchip installed in your xbox to flash the tsop and after the tsop has been flashed the modchip can be removed and you will be able to play backups. BUT, I find it misleading to say "YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MOD-CHIP TO PLAY BACKUPS! NO MATTER WHAT!! FINAL ANSWER!" With only one modchip you can flash the tsop of an unlimited number of xbox systems. EX. your friend buys a modchip learns how to flash his tsop then does all of his friends systems the modchip can then sit on a shelf until it is needed to flash another tsop. I guess what I am tiring to say is that everyone that wants to play backups of there games does not need to BUY a modchip. I hope this helps some people out and saves some of you people a few bucks along the way.

11. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

He didn't say "YOU HAVE TO BUY A MOD-CHIP" he said "YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MOD-CHIP." Yes you can use your friends mod-chip, but you still NEED his modchip to do it. Dank was just trying to get people to stop asking, "how can i play back ups with out a modchip?"

12. Dank

Dank Regular member

and still getting this mindless bullshit talk that just proves my point over and over... you need a fusking mod-chip i don't care if you shoot it out ur ass.. you need to hook it up before you can do anything with the xbox.. and yes that was the whole point to get people from asking that same question over and over again. at least a few understand
    Cheers

13. dmklap

dmklap Member

Hate to drag this out but the real fact is you really don't need a modchip at all. There are ways to flash your TSOP without one. Just trying to set the facts straight. I don't think this should be attempted by beginners but if anyone wants the info., here it is. Just to let you know I am not trying to step on any ones toes, rather just sharing some info that may help someone out.

What you’ll need:

Xbox
    PC running Linux (distro of choice)
    Linux kernel 2.4.20 source (http://www.kernel.org)
    “Kernel” folder from xbox-linux’s CVS (http://xbox-linux.sf.net)
    007: Agent Under Fire retail DVD
    Soldering Iron + Solder (and torx screw drivers)

*Warning... I installed a fresh copy of Slackware Linux on an old PC just to do this, following this tutorial can cripple your linux system if you don't revert back to your old kernel... or compile a new one... unless you know what your doing*

1st things 1st! Now you must open up your Xbox *which I don’t think I need to explain how to do*, take out the motherboard, and solder the 2x2 jumpers (one’s on top, ones on the bottom of the mobo) pictures: http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/tsop.php . Now put everything back together, but leave the case top off, and keep the Xbox near your pc!

Now, download the Linux 2.4.20 kernel source from http://www.kernel.org *look in the archives!*, move the tar.gz or tar.bz2 file to /usr/src and extract. This should leave you with a folder named “linux-2.4.20”. Next, get the “Kernel” folder from the Xbox-Linux team’s CVS *sourceforge tells you how to get on their CVS server... just user kernel as the module name*. After doing so, move the contents of the “kernel” folder to the “linux-2.4.20” folder.

Go into the linux-2.4.20 folder and read the README.xbox file! Follow it’s instructions to the point right before compiling the kernel! Next, run “make xconfig” or “make menuconfig” in console while in the folder. Configure the kernel as you normally would *I assume you have some knowledge about Linux*, remove USB support, and turn off all Xbox specific functions… Make sure to leave FatX support in though! When done, run *without quotes* “make dep ; make modules ; make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install ; make install” This will automatically do everything needed. Next, shutdown, and use the Xbox HD swap trick to unlock your Xbox’s HD and connect it to your PC (Turn on your pc, wait for it to boot RIGHT BEFORE it gets to your Linux boot loader screen press the Pause / Break button. Turn on Xbox, wait for it to boot to the dash, unplug IDE cable from Xbox, connect an IDE cable from your PC into the Xbox’s HD and press any key. Your pc should boot as normal, into Linux… except now it see’s your Xbox’s HD!

*NOW, BACK UP YOUR XBOX HD! MAKE AN IMAGE FILE OF THE HD!!! I don’t know the command do to so under linux, but I used HDD Driver under windows to do it … but seriously, if something goes wrong here, you can be left with a bunk HD if you don’t have a backup!*

Now, make a new folder in /mnt (I used /mnt/xbox myself). Now, look in the /dev folder, you should see “hda50 hda51 hda52 hda53, etc...” *it may not be hda, it could be hdb, hdc, or hdd…*. After seeing what block device it is, type this command into console”
    mount –t fatx /dev/hda50 /mnt/xbox” … if it works, you will see no error message. Go into the folder in which you mounted the partition to, and guess what! You should see TDATA and UDATA folders!

Now, if you want to move the 007 save game over to the HD (I assume you already have the files you need… I downloaded “007savewithraincoat.zip” from my local Xbox software ftp server … I suggest you do the same...), and just move the 4541000d folder into UDATA! Shutdown, unplug Xbox HD from the PC, plug it back into the Xbox (make sure your Xbox is networked to your pc, and your pc’s local network IP is in the 192.168.0.* range).

Put in the 007 game into the DVD drive, let it load. Now, just go to the Load Game menu, select Xbox Hard Disk... then the screen should go black, and you may even here some music *this is xbox-linux live running on your un-modded xbox!!!!* Now, I know how excited you must be right now, but there’s more!

Now, RUN over to your pc, and go to http:// 192.168.0.64 … now you’ll see a webpage... which is being delivered by your Xbox =p. So, now you can telnet to 192.168.0.64, then type “cd ../../media/E/UDATA/4541000d/000000000000/raincoat”.. Once here, type: “./raincoat -p bios.bin” *both without quotes!*. Guess what, you just flashed your Xbox’s TSOP with the evox bios... your xbox now is modded, without ever using a mod-chip or even a memory card =) *If you are like me, once you have EvoX installed, you would re-flash your xbox to your bios of choice* Now your done… Have fun!

14. Dank

Dank Regular member

I dinnit understand any of that... I'm gonna stick to my chip... good bit of info tho