1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your assistance requested to help me pick a dvd burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by sans, Feb 4, 2005.

1. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I have several versions of Xcopy (Platinum 4.0.3 and 3.1) and Express. They were all good for many backups, but they can't get past some of the latest CSS encryption. I burned many coasters over the last 18 months with Xcopy. Maybe they have updates for people who didn't buy from 321 Studios??

Since I switched to Shrink/Decrypter I have much better success rates.

I have three computers - two with Sony DRU-700A's and one with whatever Dell sticks in their PCs.

All three work very well. I burn at 4x usually to get less coasters. When I use 8x I find that some backups get messed up near the last chapter of the movie. Could be something I'm doing wrong or my computer, but it's worth the extra time to get it burned right the first time.

2. permatex

permatex Regular member

dvdxcopy is still my copy of choice,to overcome the problem of xcopy not being updated with the latest css encription i use dvdxcopy and anydvd.anydvd breaks the code and dvdxcopy copy and burn.anydvd works with many of the dvd copy prograns.

3. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

permatex - I was a huge fan of Xcopy for over a year. But I had many backups that would freeze, play, freeze, play throughout the entire backup. I could sometimes try again and get a good copy. Also, you cannot control the burn speed with Xcopy (unless you let your media speed control the burn speed). I found the "Backup" splash that plays at the beginning of each DVD to be annoying - another 8 seconds on top of the FBI and other warnings.

My current Shrink/Decrypter setup works 95% of the time. But in this case, when it doesn't make a good backup it is always near the end of the DVD. So I always play the last chapter until I see the credits.

Does AnyDVD work in the background while using Xcopy?

4. permatex

permatex Regular member

to robtwilk-dvdxcopy works but it is sensitive to certain programs running in the background fo most computers.once you disable said programs dvdxcopy works.anydvd works well with meny dvd copy programs to include dvdxcopy,record now,1-click ,copy programs that came with your dvd writer,ect.

5. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I just tried my Xcopy Platinum and it's telling me I have a CSS encrypted movie in the drive. This has happened a few times in the past, but rebooting usually helps. I uninstalled some programs today, including 1-click (which showed a patin-couffin file getting deleted during the process - and I know that's what Xcopy uses).

All of my Xcopy programs are legal, pre-321 going out of business versions, and have worked for more than a year?!

I installed AnyDVD and have it enabled, but Xcopy still gives me the CSS error message. I can't go any further... More disturbing is that Xcopy doesn't work like it used to!! Any ideas?

6. permatex

permatex Regular member

to robtwilk-try this sequence,start dvdxcopy,install the dvd you want ot copy in your dvd writer,wait until a white information screen appear with all the specifics about the dvd you installed,close this info screen and start copying the dvd.note-the white info screen is anybvd which will automacically find any dvd you install in your dvd writer and kill the copyright protection which in turn allow your dcd copy program to copy the dvd.give anydvd a chance to find the dvd and kill the copyright protection befory you start the copy process.

7. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

permatex - thanks for the advice. I did not get a white information screen automatically, but I was able to right-click the icon on the taskbar and then select "Show Information". This gave me the white screen.

I will try this in the future with a movie that Shrink can't decrypt. The Xcopy problem was solved last night. I suspected that removing 1-click yesterday caused the patin-couffin engine to be removed. I followed a link in the forums for patin-couffin and installed it. Then I retried Xcopy and it worked perfectly.

Why do you like Xcopy over the other choices? I was a huge fan for a long time. The number of coasters was annoying and I didn't like the opening eight second "backup" warning. I have to say it was super fast. I could read a movie in 8-10 minutes and burn one in 6-8 minutes.

After 321 shutdown, it was very hard to re-activate the product and no updates were available. They also never got the dual-layer functionality added. Is the support any better now? Can you get support if you bought Xcopy from 321 Studios?

Thanks!

8. permatex

permatex Regular member

to robtwilk -
    as far as dvdxcopy,the company which was 321 systems was put out of business by the movie industry through thc courts,dvdxcopy was so good at doing what it does that the movie industry felt threatned and eventually got the courts to agree with their point of view.many persons have decided to continue using dvdxcopy but instead of relyiang on dvdxcopy to break the copyright protection they now use dvdxcopy and anydvd together to copy dvd movies.anydvd breaks the code and dvdxcopy copy and burn.note-there is a program that will remove the anoying warning at the start of dvdxcopy movies,go to psidoc0.tripod.com and check it out.this program is free and is called 321 gone.

9. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

permatex - I followed the 321 court issues via the 321 newsletters. I too was very happy with the product most of the time.

I'm confused that I got Xcopy's "CSS encryption" error message when I had AnyDVD enabled. I figured that AnyDVD would have caused Xcopy to believe it was not encrypted.

If I run Xcopy, how can I be sure that AnyDVD is doing the decrypting and not Xcopy? The reason I ask is because I made too many coasters with Xcopy in the past. It can't be my burner since it makes perfect copies with Shrink and Decrypter.

I would like to go back to the ease of using Xcopy - if it works better with AnyDVD than it did by itself. Thanks for the 321 Gone link!

10. permatex

permatex Regular member

to robtwilk-dvdxcopy is more sensitive to what is going on with the computer,programs running in the back ground and some sortware for other programs tend to have a undesirable affect on the outcome of a burnt dvd at times.to insure that anydvd is decripting the movie you are going to copy using dvdxcopy,open the dvdxcopy program,install the dvd to be copied in your dvd writer when anydvd info screen comes up cloes it and start copying.note-anydvd should automaticly pick up any dvd that you put in your dvd writer and show thf infotmation screen,once you see this screen and close it,anydvd has already broken the copyright protection and you can start yo copy the novie,not before

11. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

permatex - My AnyDVD does not pop up this screen by itself. I have to right-click on the icon and select Show Information. What setting have I missed?

My Any DVD version is 4.5.7.2

OK, I just found the setting I was missing. Should work fine now. Under the "External" tab do you have your "Start External Program on Media Change" checked? If so what program? Thanks!

12. permatex

permatex Regular member

to robtwilk-any dvd set up.open anydvd set up,feature removal check all boxes.drive,check all boxes that show your dvd writer.programs,check enable antdvd,check auto start,check auto check for new revisions.check show info window for new media .this is the basic set up.

13. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

permatex - thanks, I have all of those checked. I was unsure about the External tab, so I left it with it's defaults.

14. Timm129

Timm129 Member

NEC here 3500 and not ONE complaint. Perfect DVD movie copies and Yes purchased from Egg..... VERY good company. Im using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2