1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your job and salary?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Jay05, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Woah, a SWAT Medic.. pretty cool job. :)

2. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

I can't say I completely hate my job, there are times when it seems worth it. But lately, it's more "burn-out" than anything else. Been doing this for 11 years...it starts to get old. Your sister's boyfriend is lucky to make that....where I'm from, you're lucky to break $32,000 per year!
    Bascially, if I knew back then what I know now, I would have picked a better career. Could have went to nursing school for the same amount of time and made a helluva lot more $$$ with fewer back injuries!

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

After being a combat medic in the Marine Corps, I worked as a paramedic for a while until I suffered a spinal cord injury (clutz that I am, I fell off a ladder LOL). I really enjoyed that job though. I've been a social worker for the last sixteen years; I deal with approving/disapproving education grants for the unskilled workforce or for skilled people whose jobs left the city etc. The problem with my job is that, in large cities, there are huge numbers of people who are unemployed for what we euphemistically call "life skills problems". I've gotten a lot of people back to work though which is always a good feeling and just last Friday, I had this former client who dropped by while he was in the neighborhood just to say thank you (rarely happens, but its cool when it does). As for my salary, suffice it to say that civil servants are seriously underpaid LOL!

I have a couple of serious and progressive neuro-orthopaedic conditions and I know that I've only got a number or years left before I can't work full time. Having been raised speaking French, I'm thinking of becoming an interpreter somewhere down the line. When I was in the service, I functioned in this capacity (when they needed me) quite often when we had French speaking officers and officials from francophone countries but my french was much better in those days. I'm thinking of really brushing up and working as needed for various legal firms, businesses etc. when I can no longer work full time ... they make a fortune. They never hire American born and raised French majors because regardless of their reading/writing capacities, they always speak with an americanized accent which is really difficult for french speaking people to understand.

4. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

For the summer only (full time student otherwise), Im working as a CSA (ranger/counselor) for the NYC parks department and of course writing for this great site :)
    Before taxes, probably $4000 a month (not bad for a 19 yr old i feel :p)
    i love both jobs, one i get to get tanned and be outside all day, the other i get to write, which i love.

:)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

That must be quite a sight; a park ranger wearing nothing but a speedo and a smokey the bear hat :)

6. billybob

billybob Regular member

Ive just applied for quite a few jobs....lets hope i get one.

7. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Lmao Billybob, ripper aint ye freind he takes no prisoners nor freinds. Which Is why I have a 300 yard perimiter mine feild around my house. Keep ye freinds clode and ye enemies closer. Or could it be that Billybob is planning rippers demise and not the other way around. XD

Anyway, I work at subway due to my loss of a job (data loss kicked my ass) and I get $7-$8 an hour. Much less then my old job, but hey.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  8. billybob

billybob Regular member

Not friends....accomplices :D World domination is top priority after getting rich. :D

9. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

So you did get fired??? What exactly did you do before? Wow!!! You got a job at subway fast!

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Subway eh?

BillyBob, Here's my order to go:

I'll take a bedonkey donk butt, Blubber, Double chin, Thunder thighs,and some love handles!

I love that subway commercial!!!!!

BTW, Say hello to Jared for for me.

11. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

BillyBob doesn't work at Subway...

12. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Lmao, I worked at a computer store before I had all the sale logs and exel files on those damn CD's. Along with the generic 'IMPORTANT DOCUMENT' Which I cannot figure out why they gave ME the only copy. I worked at subway on weekend nights I just asked for more hours, surprisingly they didn't have a problem with it.

@saugmon
    Either I'm high, or your frog is dancing along to my "Ich Will" from Rammstein perfectly...

13. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I am sorry.... That was nice of Subway

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

My bad.

NichT: I'll take what I ordered earlier,except put a hold the blubber, LOL.

I think my frog is dancing to some KC and the sunshine band!!

15. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Roflmao I know ye phone number Domreis :p

16. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Is that so... what is the area code???

17. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

I run an Automatic line in a factory. I electroplate steel parts. (turn dull steel into shiny steel.)

It's not hard work, just... boring. I listen to my mp3 player all day.

I've only worked there a couple months now so I'm stuck at $10 hour. Meh, that's fine I pay no rent. (No I don't live with my parents.... my situation is.... shall we say,.. complicated.) lol (I'M 20 BTW)

18. club42

club42 Regular member

I work at one of the worst jobs there is. I run grain elevators, fertilizer plants, and seed warehouses. The most wheat I have shoveled in a day is 145000lbs (no typo). If I'm not doing that I am cleaning up rotten half fermented grain full of dead mice and rats. I make around $42000 a year but i go 4.5 months out of every year without a day off. Usually 7 days a week 12 to 16 hours a day in 6 week increments. DVDBack23 that isn't bad at all for your age! I'm starting to wish I never puffed as much as I did. Lol.

19. billybob

billybob Regular member

I dont care where i get a job, i just need one. ANys suggestions anyone? Its just for the summer, i go back to 6th form next year but i need some money behind me.

20. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Im a factory worker as well , The company specializes in brakes and rotors (mainly for nascar and champcar). I run the dyno.. not to bad a job 12.00 bucks an hour , with room for advancement in which thats what im in the process of doing now.