1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your linux setup...

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Phantom69, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

just curious as to peoples setups...

i have...

Dual boot Windows XP and Fedora Core 4....
    have knoppix live cd 3.9
    have Boot Everywhere Linux
    have BG Rescue Linux
    have Red Hat 6 Publishers Edition (wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole)

please post your setups...

2. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

Debian install, used as a server
    Mandriva / WinXP dual boot
    Mandriva / SuSE dual boot on my laptop
    FreeBSD / OpenBSD on an old system.
    I also have a sh*tload of different live cd's to use for demonstrative purposes on client's pc's.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2005
  3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

At work one of my machines is Mandrake Linux 10.1, haven't updated it in ages as it's now a work tool and no longer a machine where i constantly installed new versions of Mandrake :)

At home my laptop is primarily WinXP Pro, it's now dual-booted with Mandriva Linux 2006 (64bit version as my cpu is an AMD Turion64). however the Linux install has destroyed itself, it core dumps repeatedly upon bootup until it runs out of swap and hangs the PC. very annoying, needs a reinstall. ah well, got my reliable XP 'til then as it's a dual boot :O

I do Unix for a living but i'm not a massive fan of any variety of Linux yet, it just isn't 'there' for me yet. i'd put Solaris 9 on the laptop instead but it's too corporate plus i use Solaris all day at work, but Sol 9 is very stable i've found so maybe i will sometime.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  4. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

creaky might i suggest to you to use Fedora Core 4, it is extremely stable as it works of the core of Red Hat and is extremely easy to use, contains both KDE and GNOME to choose from, about 6GB of apps and its just realy great...

i beggn you to try it...

5. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

Dual boot with Win XP Pro/Fedora Core 3

Still a massive newb with Linux, surprised myself by being able to install it in first place. I have a small question. If i was to reinstall Windows (which i do from time to time to clean a lot of crap), do i have to reinstll Linux? I hav nothing saved in Linux as I just go in and play about with it for a while then go back to XP.

6. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

ktulu14

if you reinstall windows yes you will have to reinstall linux again, unless you leave the linux partition as it is , if however you dont really use linux that often or just play around try using a live cd version , that way you keep windows and get to learn linux without hurting your pc. I myself have used linux for a few months , most recently ubuntu 5.10 and now after a bit of reading (creaky's threads ) im using mandrake 10.1

used to be ubuntu 5.10 with no windows (ditched it but the girlfriend couldnt use linux and voila back to M$ )

now mandrake 10.1 /dual boot with good ole Xp home

loads of live cd's , like to change round every few months or so still relatively a noooob with linux :)

might give it all up nxt year and buy an apple mac

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  7. .W.

.W. Regular member

No dual boots, I dont (re)boot anyway? ;)

I have only Gentoo in two machines, server and desktop..

8. creaky

@celticfc1 - i'm at work now so gonna reinstall my Mandriva on the laptop to see if i can fix it. i'm afraid some posts i make won't be full of praise for Linux in general; i started it using because i do Unix; my background is using Mainframes, and being totally immersed in PCs since they 'came out', and especially since i've been a fan of Windows since 24th August 1995 (scary, i still have a newspaper that came out on the day '95 was released!). Anyway, Microsoft, while we all hate the bugs, bloat, etc etc, caters for everything, whereas Linux you still have to fight to get a lot working properly. However when i bought this laptop and installed the 32-bit and then the 64-bit version, it seemed to me that maybe Linux is progressing more than it was. Everything works, hardware-wise, on the laptop. Well until it started crashing each time i boot.

Hopefully these AD Linux forums will be more balanced than the unmoderated google groups i'm used to frequenting; in the groups you get labelled a troll if you're not obsessed by Linux and if you dare to say something's not working correctly you get 20page flames

9. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

My father in law is a big fan of windows as well , he has two pc's and still runs 95 on one of them i have to laugh though cause he keeps saying that 95 is the best windows he has used, he only uses the xp pc for the internet , im still not certain which os im comfortable with thats why i change it regular , im really starting to love linux though it's just finding one that suits me , it's nice to have a linux forum here at ad , like you said some of the linux forums ive been on as well can be a bit well....... you know , you feel a bit awkward especially if your a newbie or cant get something to work

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  10. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

the one thing i hate is when you get to a new forum, you have absolutely no experience and everyone around you is talking jibberish instead of helping you take it slow which doesnt happen here cause of what a great site it is and how great all of the members are :)

11. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

I agree 100% phantom69 , when i first joined i had very little knowledge on certain things , but after reading a hell of alot i know a hell of alot more

12. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

13. creaky

i reinstalled Mandriva (same one - 64-bit 2006 version) yesterday on laptop and straight after bootup it started crashing, it was the KDE environment, so my and my colleague had a pyschic moment - reinstall without KDE; did that, have Gnome as main environment. didn't crash on boot, however haven't used it since. if it was gonna crash again i'd install the 32-bit version of Mandriva. if that played up i'd go Solaris (excellent but corporate) or i guess Suse as colleague has downloaded the latest one (and it's got Frozen Bobble!). i could install Solaris and get Frozen Bobble via booting with Knoppix but i don't wanna wear out my dvd burner drive by using Knoppix all the time

14. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

i agree frozen bubble is an awesome game...

is there anyway of extracting it from knoppix as i have dial-up and cannot really download a 15 MB game...

15. creaky

you should be able to get it via googling for "frozen bobble rpm" - there looks like loads of choices for different types of RPM, in fact try this one - http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/Games.html

16. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

checking it now...

thanx again for replying...

17. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

Well lets see.

I dual boot my workstation with XP/mandriva 2006
    Same setup with my laptop
    My webserver is Mandriva 2006
    My email server is Mandrake 9.0
    My other box is Slackware 10.2
    Another one one running Kubuntu

I do all my dvd ripping with DVD::RIP/Transcode. It works great!!

PDR60

18. punqewe

punqewe Active member

Just a boring duel boot with winXP pro and Ubuntu 5.04

I wanted to put another distro on instead,but I'm having troubles with the clash between linux and my ati radeon x800xt all in wonder. I've had some troubles with mandrake 10.1 for one and I think I even had a problem with fedora core 4. I'd really like to run Gentoo or freeBDS,but I always take on the install so late at night and I end up screwing things up.

EDIT/ my sig says I'm still running FC4...that hasn't been canged since I had an Nvidia card...gunna have to fix that. lol

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  19. spldart

spldart Member

Most of my home LAN is XP Pro/Debian which is configured k7 kernel and gnome wm.
    My server is Debian with k6 kernel and no window. It hosts samba as file server, apache and bzflag server.
    My main rig is dual Bartons liquid cooled at 2.4ghz each. It dual boots XP Pro and Debian 2.6...smp-k7 with currently fluxbox as wm. But I keep changing it up getting a feel for many wm's Was going to play with kde next.

20. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

I bought 2 mags that had three full distros like Mandriva, Ubuntu (5.10) and Open SUSE, gonna get a new hdd so that i can permanently have Linux installed instead of Live Cd's :D

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005