1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your linux setup...

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Phantom69, Dec 7, 2005.

1. punqewe

punqewe Active member

Just tried SUSE,and my x800 didn't like that one either,looked like an acid trip. Guess I'm stuck going back to ubuntu until there's better support for the x800 series.

2. B18B

B18B Member

On a notebook I have Suse 10 but on my desktop I installed PCLinuxOS

Over the past month or so I have downloaded virtually all the various versions of Linux and so far by far PCLinuxOS is the most friendly.

In 2 hours I can have a completely unformated drive running PCLinuxOS with all the updates and configured exactly as I need and ripping a DVD to AVI through ACID.

In fact ACID is the first ripper that I have found that can rip XXX State of the Union. Have tried various flavors of windows and then Linux.

I suggest if you are interested in Linux, download the Live PCLinuxOS and give it a shot. If it works for you then install.

Current desktop hardware is AMD64 3200+, 4 SATA drives and 2 gigs of memory.

3. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

That's interesing. I've always stuck with dvd::rip. It has never failed to rip or encide anything I've tried. I run mandriva 2006 on a 64bit system with 2 gigs of ram also. Linux sure runs good on these high powered systems.

I'm setting up gentoo now and it seems to be going pretty good.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Gentoo is indeed worthwhile ; a colleague has installed Gentoo on a multiprocessor Sun Server and he's well impresses with it. I am also but just don't wanna put in the effort to get it all installed :)

5. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

One thing about gentoo...... It does take some time. I'm thinking of building a new system with a dual core AMD64. I have always run duals until my present system. It's hard to beat SMP. My p3 dually will complete an encode using DVD::rip just a hair slower then my present 64 bit system. The difference is about 30 min. I can only imagine what a dual 64bit will do!! It helps to have a 320 SCSi drive behind it also. With Gentoo running in 64bit mode and a fast drive along with a dual 64bit cpu; It should be screaming fast.....

PDR60