1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinion on the best method to archive cd's?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by weazel200, Apr 25, 2005.

1. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Everyone brings up valid points. I think the best way to do it would be to make cd images of the albums and then burn the on to dvd discs. But the standard 4.7 GB discs can only hold 4 or 5 albums so the best bet is to wait for blue ray dvd or hd-dvd to be released which is a few years still. Also it means buying a new dvd drive especially for these type of discs.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Sounds good weazel200 but remmember that when the Blue-Ray/HD-DVD first comes out it will be in its infancy and subject to allot changes (speed, media manufacturing proccess, even data format!).

3. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Your probably right Ced. So how long do you think it will be till blank dvd's of blue ray and hd-dvd become available once all the testing has been completed. There is also the fact of dvd's. once these newer dvd's come out they will probably release lord of the rings, matrix trilogy and godfather all on one maybe two discs which means we will yet have to buy again even though we own the original

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

For that I have no real answers. I would take a clue from CD-R and DVD-R and how they have matured over time. I swear its a conspiricy. The entertainment industry loves when technology works in there favor. That's why they hold on to copyrights so strongly. They want to be able to have all the entertainment for years and years so that their childern can sell the same stuff over and over again (as well as the new fad stuff) with false-promise of better quality and more for your money!

Ced

5. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Very true. We shouldn't have to keep buying an almum or a film we love every time it is released in a different format. It's just another way for them to make a quick buck and makes people download more. So IMO they are screwing themselves.

6. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

Dogbomb, I have seen FLAC on the Winamp site but didn't really pay attention to it until recently. Have you made use of it yourself?
    Theoretically it sounds like a good idea to use lossless compression but
    OTOH I haven't done enough ripping to notice anything having poor sound
    using .mp3 @320. I'm just asking out of curiousity since this FLAC idea
    seems cool.

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

No, in 3-5 years...
    I mixed & burned some custom CDs in 2002 and, if you hold them up to a (dim) light you can see right through them - they are 80% transparent :^(
    I believe HD storage is the best long-term strategy for me and my 160+ AVIs.
    BTW I need a newer bigger HD ;^)
    (Who doesn't, LoL)
    Regards

8. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

The_OGS said:
    Heh. I bet in like, 200 years archeologists will find caches of CDR and
    DVDR in vaults and will make the assumption that our society used these
    discs as money. One archeologist to the other: "These fools made the damn coins too big to carry in your pocket too!" :)

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The best method really depends on what your requirements are. From a longevity point of view it would probably be DLT but you'd have to be archiving enough music to make it worth the price (a friend of mine and I have considered doing this with DVD backups since he has access to a DLT drive at work so we'd just have to pay for the tapes). Magnetic tape is more durable and made to last longer than either recordable optical media or hard drives.

Personally I make CD images with EAC and Monkey's Audio and archive them to DVD. It won't last forever but each disc holds enough CDs (about 12-18) that it won't be prohibitively expensive or time consuming to make copies of them in the future. I'd still go with DLT if I could though.

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  10. mini_mod

mini_mod Member

Why not just store them on a secure network?
    Or rent or buy yourself a website you can host yourself.
    Seems like there would be no data corruption or loss. Seems logical to me, but thats just my opinion.

11. tgvas

tgvas Member

In my mind, having recorded no less then 5,000 cd's in various forms, FLAC wins hands-down!

FLAC can be played in many CD players these days, Phatnoise, etc etc
    Flac is 100% Lossless, safe, takes less space then SHNs, can record right thru nero onto CDs to produce the original CD again, and is easy to use as well as FREE@

12. .//bodom

.//bodom Guest

Neph says I need to better the world by sitting in a tub of gasoline and torching myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2005