1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YP-F1 MP3 player - question on very low battery life

Discussion in 'Audio' started by laurie74, Jan 17, 2006.

1. laurie74

laurie74 Member

I just received my first MP3 player (Samsung YP-F1X, 512 Mb) for Christmas '05, and I'm seeing extremely poor battery life. The manual says it should get about 10 hours of play time from a full charge; a review I read said it was really about 8 hours. I'm only seeing between 4 and 4.5 hours from a full charge.

I've cut the display contrast down to its lowest level. I'm avoiding all forwarding/rewinding/other menu functions. I only charge it after the "low battery life" notice comes up and shuts down the player. And I charge it completely at that point.

It also may be helpful to note that the manual says it should take about 2.5 hours to fully charge the player from fully discharged. It's only taking 1.5 hours to charge mine.

I would love to hear from anyone with any answers or suggestions. I emailed Samsung last week, but I still haven't heard back from them, and I'm getting very frustrated. Thank you so much for your help.

2. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Is the battery a Samsung one which recharges or is it just normal alkaline ones which you can easily replace? Have you tried ringing Samsung Customer Support?

3. laurie74

laurie74 Member

The battery is indeed a Samsung one that recharges. Once it's drained, it recharges through a USB hook-up with a computer.

I've emailed Samsung's Support people, but received no response as of yet (today is Wednesday; I emailed them last Friday - their Support page says they usually respond within one business day). Haven't tried calling yet.

4. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

You may have also bought a faulty player. Is it under any warranty or insurance?

5. laurie74

laurie74 Member

I was wondering if that was the case (faulty player). I'll be looking into the warranty tonight when I get home.

Thank you for your help, Weazel, and if anyone else has had this problem or has any other ideas, I'm still interested!

6. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

No problem laurie74. Glad I could help.

7. shutdown

shutdown Member

helloski, i have the same mp3 player , samsung yp-f1 512mg. the battery life is poor, poor, poor. i dont think its a fault, the manufacturers of these things lie, lie, lie. i can only assume that they bench mark using the lowest possible output of the thing. mine is only about 6 weeks old and lasts about 3.5 to 4 hours tops.

8. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

@ shutdown
    Have you tride e-mailing Samsung?

9. shutdown

shutdown Member

hey, have tried Samsung a couple of times over the last few weeks without any reply. neva mind. some time back I tried Samsung over a support issue about another piece of equipment and got the run around for about 6 months then gave up. its all just too much fun for me !

10. foxturk

foxturk Member

Hi,

I have got a YP-F1 and it has a short battery life.. it's true :(

And i have got another problem. If anybody can help i'll be grateful. YP-F1 is not on sale in my country. I bought it online from USA. This week my bag is stolen and my usb cable is stolen too.. I must make my cable. I find 4-way audio jack and have got usb cable, but i can't find the cable scheme. Is anyone can write here the cable's scheme? Only a multimeter and a 30 seconds. Thanks...

11. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

@ foxturk
    Wouldn't it be easier to by a new USB cable

12. foxturk

foxturk Member

In Turkey, hand made cable is a primary choice. If i want original cable, i must bought form US or UK. I can't find it at Turkey. let's say original cable is 15$ and postage to Turkey is plus... let's say 10$ (yp-f1 came with 30$ of postage).

I have the jacks now.. i only join them. 25$ is quite expensive for a cable for me.

13. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

good luck on making one