1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zelda Twilight Princess ISO Reading Problem

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by JuveFan, Dec 30, 2006.

1. JuveFan

JuveFan Member

Greetings everyone,

I'm having a problem playing "Zelda - Twilight Princess" on my modded NGC (Cobra 1.2 BIOS). I got the ISO for the game, burnt it on a mini DVD-R (I also verified the disc after burning, no problems there).

It runs with no problems at the beginning, but less than 2 minutes into the game (Just after I get the Horse "Epona" and get to the area after Link's house), I get an error that says that there was a problem reading the disc.

And to be certain it's not a media problem, I re-burnt the ISO on a mini DVD-R, but the game crashes at exactly the same place.

Can anyone help me on this? Am I not burning it right? (I also burnt Wind Waker, no problems there) Or is there a problem with the ISO?

Thanks in advance

2. koppit

koppit Member

I had the same with NFS: Carbon .. did you try a full size dvd-R ?
    I'll burn the iso and see what happens, I downloaded "The_Legend_Of_Zelda_Twilight_Princess_USA_NGC-STARCUBE" (S3-ZELTW.RAR)

3. Flandrel

Flandrel Regular member

I own both of these games and also downloaded those these two versions and it all works fine for me.

Need_For_Speed_Carbon_USA_NGC-STINKYCUBE
    The_Legend_Of_Zelda_Twilight_Princess_USA_NGC-STARCUBE

I burnt these to Sony full size DVD-R and have no problems with them. My boys have played both of these games extensively and no lockups or anything. And they are both pretty far into the Zelda and NFS both.

It could possibly be a bad burn or bad media. What type of media are you using?

Flandrel

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  4. JuveFan

JuveFan Member

Thanks koppit and Flandrel. But the problem is still pending.

My GameCube drive's cover hasn't been modded to accept full size DVD-R.

The bad burn problem is highly unlikely, since I burned it twice (both of which the verification process was successful). And both burns lock up and the same exact spot.

The bad media problem can also be disregarded since Zelda Wind Waker seems to be working perfectly.

5. koppit

koppit Member

Well I used a full size DVD-R (memorex DVD-R 4x) and it worked just fine, but when I tried a mini-DVDR (office depot ritek G04) it had problems. I suggest burning a full size, taking off your top case, and taping down the two little black door sensor switches .. good luck!

6. CiDaemon

CiDaemon Regular member

Despite arguments against, this does sound awfully like the common bad media problem. It could be that the disk you burned before (that worked) had been from a different manufacturer/better stack. I know that many optical disk makers use disks from multiple sources, and therefore the disk quality can vary greatly. Of course there are always bad stacks as well, so I would recommend burning a different game to another mini-DVD from that same stack and see if it works.

If all else fails, just do the top-case mod and burn to a TY DVD-R (full size). This would eliminate all possible media problems, and if the issue persists, then you know the problem is in something else, i.e. the burning program or drive.

BTW @koppit:
    Memorex DVD media generally suck, so I'm surprised that it worked so well for you....reality is Ralph, I suppose.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  7. koppit

koppit Member

Yeah it sure is funny, I went out and bought Ritek G04's specifically for this, and these old ones I had sitting around worked better. It wasn't the drive either, I tested on two separate dvd burners. I was just about to give up - so I guess the moral of the story is ... gamecubes are picky.

oh, on another note, my fujifilm DVD+Rs work great too .. lol

8. JuveFan

JuveFan Member

Thanks CiDaemon, but I would rule out the bad media problem. Mainly for 2 reasons:

1- I copied both Wind Waker (which is working), and Twilight Princess from the same stack.

2- I've tried 3 burns now, and they all crash at the exact same spot, I would think crashes caused by bad media would be a bit more random.

The only solution I can think of at the moment is downloading a different torrent, the one I downloaded was:

The.Legend.of.Zelda.Twilight.Princess.PAL.MULTI5.NGC-DRabbits

While it seems at least 2 users who posted used the STARCUBE torrent, hopefully I'll have better luck with that one.

If anyone has a different solution, I would be thankful.

Thanks everyone.

9. Flandrel

Flandrel Regular member

In this case it sounds like it might possibly be a bad download. Is your system PAL or NTSC? I know you tried the PAL one. Maybe the NTSC version will work better. The one I posted above works perfectly fine. I have tried one game with both PAL and NTSC and both different releases only to find one would work or I would try two NTSC versions (different releases) and have issues with one and no problems with other. Definitely sounds like a bad version you downloaded.

Flandrel

10. koppit

koppit Member

If the starcube release came in rar files (as mine did), and the rar files decompressed with no problems, then the error checking in winrar worked and the iso is not your problem.
    If the above is the case, then trying different media is a good place to start - I used a full size and it worked flawlessly. I also changed the burn speed.

Someone should design a troubleshooting chart for things like this .. seems like it's all similar problems :p

11. CiDaemon

CiDaemon Regular member

Now I don;t think the media is the problem anymore, despite my last statement ;). I didn't know that your (working) wind waker was put on a disk from the same stack; that rules out bad stack and bad media fairly surely. I also didn't catch that you were downloading an .iso, I thought you had an original an were making a backup copy. I've had nothing but trouble with torrent .iso's, and have totally given up on downloading console titles altogether; now I favor renting/borrowing and copying ;).

12. JuveFan

JuveFan Member

An interesting development made me reconsider ruling out the bad media problem.

I downloaded the ISO for Soul Calibur II, burnt it on a mini-DVD of the same stack used before. This time I get a DRE right at the beginning of the game.

I tried a different burner, which wouldn't even get past the lead-in phase on 4 attempted burns in 2 different programs.

On the first burner, I used ImgBurn in all my attempts, on the 2nd one (which wouldn't get past the lead-in), I tried 2 with ImgBurn and 2 with Nero.

Anyways, the stack is finished now, I have another one of the same brand, hopefully I'll have better luck with it.

But I'm also considering trying a different burning program, anything better that ImgBurn or Nero?

Thanks in advance.

13. koppit

koppit Member

I've had no problems with nero 6.6.0.16 .. i have a pioneer DVR-108 - nothing special but seems to work quite nicely for GC games (I downloaded a pal version of mario smash football, a german release, and it played it no problem on my vipergc .. talk about luck!)
    Anyways, if you want a copy pm me i have the installer somewhere.
    I noticed with the mini-dvdrs if i burned at any speed other than 2x they wouldn't work worth a damn.

14. JuveFan

JuveFan Member

Thanks again for your help koppit.

Just before I logged in to the forum. I tried burning both Zelda - Twilight Princess and Soul Calibur 2 on 2x speed. Soul Calibur II worked, Twilight Princess didn't.

So I'm not really sure where the problem is anymore. I'll download another torrent for Zelda - Twilight Princess and give it a try.

About Nero, thanks for the offer koppit, but I can get it without much trouble, thanks for the advice though.

(Small update: Soul Calibur gave me a DRE after playing for a while, so I'm guessing there could be a DRE waiting for me in Zelda Wind Waker at some point in the game. Which means it's probably a media problem)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  15. Hert13

Hert13 Member

Nero 7 didn't work for me, worked fine with Nero 6...

16. nyder

nyder Guest

I've heard the Nero 7 doesn't work as well for burning backups. They changed how they did something.

What is better for backups, mini dvds or regular dvds?
    I heard that you can wear the optical drive motor out faster because it wasn't meant to be spinning normal size dvds.

I guess I'll find out anyways.

17. CiDaemon

CiDaemon Regular member

Regular DVDs are usually of higher media quality, and therefore are "better", per se. It really depends more on the specific media; I'm sure just about any mini-DVD is better quality than, say, Memorex DVDs.

18. JuveFan

JuveFan Member

Just as I expected earlier, Zelda Wind Waker ended up having a DRE.

So now, all my attempts have failed to get a fully working game. Since they're all burnt on the same type of media (ETON Double-layer Mini DVD-R) I would guess it's a media problem.

It could also be the burner or the burning program. So I'll try Nero 6 as a last resort, if it fails then I'll have to look for a different type of DVDs.

The only way to be sure that it's a media problem is to try full size DVDs, unfortunately it looks that whoever modded the GameCube I own tightened the screws like it wasn't meant to ever be opened again, I've tried to open the GameCube for about 40 minutes with no result.

I'll try a bit more, if I fail. I'll look for a different type of Mini DVDs (Although they're hard to find around here).

I'll post any updates on this matter.

19. roobster

roobster Member

hey I am a noob and downloaded The_Legend_Of_Zelda_Twilight_Princess_USA_NGC-STARCUBE but it is in a file form and not an iso and i wanted to know how to burn it I have Nero 7

20. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

have fun from what i have heard is it is a real pain to get it towork because you need a external loader dol file to have it boot