1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

zen v ipod

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by joemc61, Nov 17, 2008.

1. joemc61

joemc61 Member

hi guys,
    its time for xmas and kids want mp3 players,now 19yr old definately wants a ipod nano 16g so thats sorted but 14yr old wants a creative zen 16g,heres my problem i dont know anything about the zen other than what the catologue tells me would i be wasting my money buying her one?and should i go for ipod nano for her as well?
    cheers for any advice
    joemc61

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I would wait a few weeks then use Google shop. The price wars have just started in earnest. The top picks are the 16 g sansa clip for an mp3 player and 16g nano for the mp4 player. They are the most popular and are in a serious price war. The sansa clip is challenging the nano for the most popular player. If you only want to listen to music sansa is a no brainer. They are tiny, well made and do not have all the Apple baggage. The rest of the players will have to beat the top players to sell anything. A 16 g sansa clip should be found for around 100 USD if you shop.

3. joemc61

joemc61 Member

cheers for that will wait and see
    thanks again

4. Mez

Mez Active member

5. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

One of my kids got an ipod about three years ago and the other one got a zen mp3 player. They can't download each other's music because they are different formats and my daughter wants an ipod now this christmas. So i would advise you to stick with the one format, it's easier if they want to share their music.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  6. Mez

Mez Active member

This is a big deal! Listen up! Do not buy from itunes or any place that does not sell mp3s, preferably VBRs.

That is almost true. They are both mp3 players so they will play mp3s and they could share their music if your kids they didn't use itunes or media player as their audio tool. If they used Win Amp or Media Monkey they could share. The sellers prefer that you buy the same tune twice. 10 times would even be better! You have just fallen into their trap to make you spend more money for less.

Only rip to mp3s and only buy mp3s. These are both possible but you can't contuinue to buy from itunes and where ever they are buying their wmas from. If the tunes are not DRMed you can convert with m4as and the wmas to mp3 VBRs of the same estimated bit rate. Both have a bit more quality than a normal mp3 128 BR actually CBR (Constant Bit Rate). MP3 VBRs have the best quality per BR so you will not lose quality.