1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zone alarm firewall only? No need for antivirus?

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by schweet, Feb 21, 2007.

1. schweet

schweet Guest

Hey

Recently I had a 240gb hd installed on my pc and the guy who did it told me to remove my AV (Norton), and just rely on zone alarm firewall for protection; he said to just deny anything that's suss, and removing norton will make my pc run a lot faster.

No AV at all? Is he crazy or is there truth to this?

Cheers

2. spudgun77

spudgun77 Member

Ide use an Anti-virus - just not norton! theres plenty of free ones out there such as AVG, Avast, Active Antivirus (and a couple more too) which are much less system hogging than norton. A firewall will only monitor ingoing and outgoing connections on your computer and will not monitor for viruses. Zone alarm free comes with an antivirus feature but I think this is only to monitor if your AV software is running or not.

3. ozsurfie

ozsurfie Guest

definitely use a av from experience avg is a good one if you want a free one otherwise i can strongly recommend nod 32.
    I read about comodo firewall on here and after only one day think it is better than kerio and zone alarm both i have used for a couple of years each. There is a great thread int he sticky section that gives a whole heap of advise and i learnt a lot from it - suggest you read it and it will help
    good luck

4. schweet

schweet Guest

No worries, thanks for your replies.