1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

zone alarm - Yes or NO

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by csubi, Mar 6, 2006.

1. csubi

csubi Member

hey all

my antivirus is avg free, and i started to get major pop ups for just after a torrent i downloaded. i installed zone alarm and the problem stopped right away, but my comp seems slower now.

is zone alarm my awnser or are there other programs to help me

what about this new windows defender?? or is that just another "ad-aware" or "search and destroy" program

tnks

2. rav009

rav009 Active member

Alrght, after you download from torrents you get pop ups so you intstalled Zone alarm ?? thats either ZA internet secuirty or probaly ZA anti spyware you installed it and you were having pop ups.

First of all it sounds like it was spyware so what you can do instead of keeping ZA (a payed for program) use some free ware programs, follow my guide and install some real time spyware protecion etc.

Windows defender is a firewall, Anti virus and anti spyware, it may be good but i'd prefere to follow my guide and use some astablished great freeware programs.

However Zone alarm's products are excelent but theres no point paying, use their free firewall if you wanna (i have Zone alarm pro's firewall and can tell you its excelent...i "pay" for it though :p) bottom line is, if you like it keep it, i suggest you follow my guide and just secure your pc the free way :p

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292257

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  3. csubi

csubi Member

wow great reply, thank you

and i too am "paying" for the zonealarm security suite 6.1.737

4. rav009

rav009 Active member

=D thanks, yeh well if you have zonealarm security suite 6.1.737 then dump AVG if you still have it intstaled, ZA IS will have everything you need, its a great qaulity program and will keep you safe.

For additional protecion (very important) follow the guide and install the anti spyware/adwares (you dont need any real time protection as you have ZA anti spyware) and some of the others, you should be safe :p

But to answer your qeusion, Yes or No, Zone Alarm gets a big YES :D , the best IS suite around followed by trend micros and pandas.

5. csubi

csubi Member

Huge help bro

all the best!!!

6. rav009

rav009 Active member

No problem mate, just make sure you stick around :D

7. rab48124

rab48124 Regular member

I use AVG and Zone Alarm (both the free ones) and I have never had a problem.

8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

same here. Used zone alarm for years, and AVG for about a year. (finally switched from that awful norton crap). zone alarm is a great firewall, even if it is a tad resource-hungry.

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

zone alarm is an excellent program that i use as well.

at this point, rav, i disagree with you. i like to have an army of software at my disposal, with at least two different kinds to do every job (save firewall), as with all the specialized damage-inducing files and .exe's out there, some are skipped and others tend to pick them up.

like right now, i have 4 anti-spyware programs, 3 anti-virii--several different types of protection running constantly. it keeps my system very healthy.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  10. rav009

rav009 Active member

Its strogly recomended that you do now run more than one anti virus in real time, the AV will detect items on the other AV's detection list, false possitives...

Only ever run 1 AV in real time, you can keep the other one to scan with but disable it through msconfig.

You can keep multiple AV's if you wanna Aus, you do have a point, but its certainly not recomended that yo do so.

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

only one is ever running in real time; i was listing the total amount that i have. sorry for any confusion. :D

as for the several running, i meant one anti-virii, one anti-spyware, my firewall, etc. i keep at least two of each on the compie, but only one of each running at any given time. but when i do a full system scan, i scan with one after the other.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Zone Alarm is a good (one of the best) firewall without a doubt.
    The virus detection though is way below AVG as AVG picks things up ZA can't see.
    Spyware removal tool on ZA is not up to ad-aware either, as ad-aware will find stuff ZA doesn't.
    All these tools are avalaible free to use.
    Anyone still using Norton (well done) and keep re-booting that PC.

13. rav009

rav009 Active member

@Auslander,lol ahh i see get you now Aus :D

@BigDK,

Its THE best firewall around...Without a doubt.

i think you'll find it isnt actualy much below it, i had ZA IS for a while before i switched to ZA pro, AVG free and MS anti spyware...the AV in ZA is good.

The anti spyware in ZA is good...all of ZA products are excelent..but yeh ad aware does find things that it wont but then again you get that with most(alot)program out there..you dont expect them to have a identical definition file now do you??

LOL, yeh Norton is bad,ts just a pure resourse hog..the product itself is poor, the protection it gives is lacking..overall you'll find its a waste of time.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

norton decided to create errors for files that [bold]don't exist[/bold] on my compie, so i finally rid myself of it. my running system processes at any given time went from 55 to 48. crazy. :p

15. 1013

1013 Member

Although it is slightly illegal and immoral creaky has edited this out..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@1013 - no Piracy thanks...

17. 1013

1013 Member

oops sorry

18. Krazymale

Krazymale Regular member

I have been using Norton antivirus with zonealarm pro + Ewido anti- malware and I never had any problems and I wonder why most of you guys are anti Norton????. For zone alarm my answer is YES for sure.

Thank you

19. Nicklt

Nicklt Regular member

I have Zone Alarm Pro, Norton Internet Security 2006 (Which Sucks), Ad-Aware, AVG, and then things like SpyBot. (I know about conflicts so dont tell me :)) Zone Alarm is a big YES! Norton NO my dad just brought it so i thought i might aswell, and there are so many free bits out there just pick and choose.

Before i realised Norton sucked i had re-booted my PC twice already because it cant pick up a Drunk in a Piss up.

Now i have Zone Alarm pro and never had any problems since.

20. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

I respectfully disagree that zonealarm is worth the cpu cycles it takes to delete it, but that's not the point.

I just wanted to point out that the REAL ways to save yourself LOTS of hassle are...

1. Dump IE. Use firefox or opera.
    2. Stop randomly downloading crap from filesharing programs that you absolutely don't need. Most of it is spyware/virus filled CRAP.
    3. Dump IE. Use firefox or opera.
    4. Dump Outlook Express and/or Outlook. There are many other options.
    5. Get a router, a linksys or a dlink is a good choice. Hardware firewall > any windows point-and-click software firewall. Any security professional will tell you that REAL internet security does not exist with install-me-once-and-forget-me software.
    and, lastly, number...
    6. Dump IE. Use firefox or opera.

One finds that one needs far fewer bandages if one refrains from shooting himself in the foot.