1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zonealarm question

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by goducks, Mar 10, 2006.

1. goducks

goducks Member

Hi guys,
    Is it a bad idea to have AVG antivirus AND the Zonealarm security sweet installed at the same time---should I just use the zonealarm anti virus feature and disable AVG untill I run a scan with it? also is Zonealarm's realtime antispyware good enough or should I install spyware blaster and disable the realtime spyware protection in ZoneAlarm? Which starts to make me wonder if I should just uninstall the whole zonealrm suite! any suggestions would be great. I just uninstalled MS antispyware beta--does that program actually do anything except send info to MS? lol I have no evidence of it ever blocking anything realtime!

thanks in advance

GoDucks

2. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I think the rule of thumb is to only have one virus scanner running at a time -- I don't know what the repurcussions are; that's just what I hear.

As far as choosing which programs to handle which functions, they probably all do a sufficient job, so it's probably just a matter of your personal preference.

Funny you mentioned uninstalling the whole zonealarm suite, because I used zonealarm free for a while, then I gave the paid version a shot and it just confused me; so I went back to the free.

3. rav009

rav009 Active member

ZA IS will have all you need, uninstall all other rivaling real time protecion.

Never have more than one AV installed, you will get false possitive results, you can keep AVG but make sure it wont run in real time, you only want it to scan when you want it too, go Start>run>msconfig and click the start up tab, uncheck everything to do with AVG (should be avgcc) and restart.

you dont have to worry, ZA will protect you with its qaulity products :D, dont have second thoughts about spyware blaster etc..

4. goducks

goducks Member

thanks &
    one more thing--how do I know if ZA Sec Suite is running realtime spyware protection(or does it even have that) and will that realtime conflict with Peer Guardians realtime operations(p2p, spyware, etc.) sorry for the additional questions...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  5. rav009

rav009 Active member

it wont interfear with pg2, pg2 doesnt have anti spyware, all it does is block out known sources of it from downlaods.

For ZA you can check if its running its real time spyware protection by clicking anti spyware and seeing if its on or off :D