1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

zune freezing

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by jayb21132, May 11, 2008.

1. jayb21132

jayb21132 Member

I just orderd a zune off ebay...worked fine for a couple of days then my zune program told me i needed to update to device software version 2.5. So i got that installed....now most of my songs play correctly however i have a select few that when i try to play them nothing happens.....then after 10 or so seconds the whole zune freezes...

any tips/tricks?

im running windows vista however and about to downgrade to xp sp2

2. MrPuffin

MrPuffin Regular member

i would suggest just to wipe the whole drive of the zune (somewhere in settings) then reload all the content it may have corrupted some of your songs on the zune itsself thats all i can think of so good luck with that

previously had vista now have xp also may be an error with vista

3. jayb21132

jayb21132 Member

thanks...i ended up downgraded from vista to xp
    my zune kinda sat around not being used all summer cuse i couldnt
    find my cable to connect it to my computer

when i finally found my chord i decided to plug it in...once again there was another firmware update (v3.0)
    so all my music synced and it seemed like it was working fine....then all of the sudden it wouldnt even boot up

finaly got to erase the firmware and everything then re installed the firmware.....works fine but i cant get my music to sync

it freezes on some songs then it jus decides to reboot

any help?

4. MrPuffin

MrPuffin Regular member

sounds like what happened to my freinds zune ill see how he fixed it and see if that works

but that sounds like tipical MS cr*p thats why i went to apple computers and mp3's

5. Mez

Mez Active member

You BIG mistake was updating your software. Like the ipod, most changes to the software are not helpful to the user but are beefing up the cyber police in a box to keep you honest. Half the time the fixes create problems. If your software was working fine why would you bend over for them?

MrPuffin, Apple is far worse. I haven't upgraded my original itunes bounght 3-4 years ago. I can't see any difference in usability between mine and the current version. They have probably made over 100 updates to the softare of which I can't see 1 improvement. I do know now you must go through a propriatary USB driver instead the generic driver to link to your computer. Apple used to have no control over what you did when you linked to your computer. I like that. Zune is the same way. You must connect through a propriatary link. I wouldn't buy either of those devices.

6. MrPuffin

MrPuffin Regular member

hen why are you posting if you hate them both

Btw try iTunes 8 it's way differant than all the other versions
    It also is better for keeping what is on there orginized

But I do agree that if you prefer using the finder to sync you should be able to
    Tho I wouldn't do that

But like I say to every one who says that kind of stuff to me
    PERSONAL PREFERNCE!

7. Mez

Mez Active member

Because I can.

First of all itunes attacks ipods that have been synced with something other than itunes. After the attack they are dead.
    Secondly, itunes was mind-boggling slow when my library was a 20th of what it is now. What I use is the best app for huge libraries. I would say it is 1,000 times as fast as the old itunes. It is the app of choice for organization. If you can program in visual basic or SQL you can execute a routine you wrote on downlaod from their board against all items or all highlighted items. For example you have an album of music that tag into in the file name not in the tags. You can highlight those records and execute a routine that takes the information in the name and puts it in the tags.
    Thirdly, I think itunes is designed for persons that confuse easily. They do not want to make choices or think. What I use is relitivly complicated. You really need to think and you need to make choces other than what tune do I play. I demand a full featured application that gives me the most choices. I appreciate the nice extras that make my life easier. You mentioned syncing. Media Monkey's auto sync allows you to designate a set of play lists to be synced for a given mp3 device and allows for many mp3 devices to be maintained. That play list set can be changed at anytime.

I do believe itunes and zune software has its place since a large section of the public just wants to push the "easy button".

8. varnull

varnull Guest

MrPuffin.. I'm waiting for your friends info because we have 2 that do the same thing since the update.

It seems to be high bitrate mp3 that causes the problem initially.. 320k seems to corrupt something in the firmware. The software update then locks the machine if there is any "unofficial" media present during the update process.

Looks and behaves like drm/spyware, but I can't be sure because collecting a pile of bricked Zunes isn't a good way to test the theory.

Is there a way to revert to the original firmware version i.e factory reset?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  9. Mez

Mez Active member

Hummmm... interesting. My son has a Zune. I never upgraded the software because "I am paraniod". He uploads to the Zune from a stand alone computer. It fusses when you load it and it can not access the internet, it demands internet access but it will allow you to proceed. His Zune has no problems with high bit rate music. It 'wanted' to upgrade both sides of the Zune software with too zeal to be confortable with.

It reminds me of the guy that posioned his kids with holloween candy. When them balked because it did not tast right he forsed it on them. The million dollar life ins he took out on each one was a give away.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  10. MrPuffin

MrPuffin Regular member

sorry about that but he doesnt know what happened to get it working because he gave it to someone else who fixed it for him or something like that and he doesnt use it any more since he cracked the screen

sorry man i wish i could help some more
    hope your problem gets worked out

11. varnull

varnull Guest

No worries then.. I suppose attacking one of the dead ones with a plan to finding the eeprom which holds the firmware and then having a look at a dump might be the way to go. There is probably a way to flash them offline.. Somehow they are made in the first place.

Suppose I should have a hunt for more info and stop hoping for a quick fix eh?.. I'm always the one with the "RTFM and google mofo" attitude eh? hehehehehe

first hints.. http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f16/zune-firmware-1-2-released-453.html

now to find the firmware.. Reading between the lines id should be possible to go backwards with older versions of the software installed..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945278/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  12. MrPuffin

MrPuffin Regular member

tho my freind doesnt know what he did

my best bet on getting it fixed is to wipe the whole zune including firmware and the restoring

to wipe it hold back-left-center buttons
    then just connect it to your pc and then restore

that may help idk if it will because i dont have zune 3.0 due to an error installing it on my vista and vmware isnt powerfull enough to run zune on xp so i still have 2.0