1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zune vs ipod ,who will win?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Janpen, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Janpen

Janpen Member

Microsoft and Apple are finally going to be going head to head in the MP3 player market this holiday season. Microsoft appears to be bringing out the big guns with this player, adding features like WiFi sharing that the iPod doesn’t have, pricing themselves below Apple’s dominant Mp3 player. But the real question is…which device is right for YOU?
    Putting all hype aside for a minute, let’s look at the specs of the system, the features and services we know about, and the prices involved with each device.

Storage - This is one category where the two players are even. Both are capable of storing 30 Gigs worth of date
    Winner: n/a

Battery Life - The iPod sports a 14/4 hour battery life, while Microsoft’s Zune comes in just slightly under with 12 hours of power.
    Winner: iPod

Screen - the iPod features a 2.5 inch diagonal screen, while the Zune has a slightly larger 3.0 inch diagonal screen.
    Winner: Zune

WiFi Connectivity - The current iPod features no Wifi connectivity whatsoever, Zune, however, is 802.11g Wifi enabled, and features a slew of sharing and broadcasting features.

Brand Stability - This may not seem important at first, but the iPod is THE standard in MP3 players. It is an established brand that has little to no chance of going anywhere anytime soon, no matter how the “war” with Microsoft goes. Zune, however, is a new brand, and a new way of doing business for Microsoft. If it fails, this time next year you might not have a place to buy Zune content.

Content - This category is the one that has the opportunity to change the most. Right now the iPod, through iTunes, has thousands of songs, hundreds of TV shows, dozens of movies, and a handful of games to download for the device. As of this writing we still don’t know what all the Zune Marketplace will hold for Zune owners. It is safe to assume that the Zune Marketplace will feature TV and MOVIE content, but right now we don’t have any idea how that will go. So, for now at least, this one goes to Apple.

Multisupport- while ipod support jpeg, h.264, bmp,mpeg4, aa;zune support jpeg,h.264,wmv,mpeg4.totally ipod play more audio or video format than zune,and more converter softwares only provide format of ipod. after all,ipod has excited a lot of users already ,but more and more software begin to support zune.for example imtoo has explore a software imtoo dvd to zune converter So in this way ipod and zune are deuce.
    Winner: n/a

Download Choice - With iTunes, if you want to buy music, it will cost you .99 cents per song, or you can purchase by the album. With Zune, you’ll be able to choose from buying songs individually, or purchasing an “all-you-can-eat” subscription, allowing you to listen to as much music as you want. Microsoft’s decision to give users a choice, gives Zune the edge.

In a conclusion, If the social aspects of Zune are appealing to you, and you’re a Windows user, then Zune is probably your best choice. If you’re not interested in the Wifi features, you will definetly want to look at the iPod, but in several important areas (screen size, download choice, price…) Zune is a clear winner.

2. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

the zune is bulkier than the ipod though

3. AdaNov

AdaNov Guest

I strongly believe that zune will win this war at last for the majority of the public are using the software from MS on which zune is based. Anyway, it will not effect our enjoyment of these media players. Here is one software which will make it possible for you to take your favorite on your zune. click:dvd-to-zune edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  4. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I would say iPod, the zune is alot bulkyer, and there is only one model! The iPod had a huge headstart! if the Zune takes it then aple will be in big trouble because the iPod is what kept them in buissnes (JUST mt\y opinion)

~Domreis

5. curtispan

curtispan Member

i hope the Zune isn't as buggy as Windows...

6. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Right now it is!

7. johnblaze

johnblaze Regular member

Apple also has a way of retaining their customers using their DRM, this makes it harder for opposing companies to de-throne them. Too bad MS opted to do the exact same thing, and even gives the music companies royalties for each Zune sold I think, but I think that is part of their plan to make it harder for apple since they have to re-negotiate their contracts with the music companies soon anyways. Right now I can't see Zune winning because the mp3 player just doesn't look that great to me, but if they can come out with some smaller models for better prices, they might have a chance.

8. serpiroth

serpiroth Regular member

Apple is dominating the MP3 player race. You will occasionaly see a kid with a zune, but i dont beleive it will every catch up to ipod. By the time the Zune catches up to apples Ipod player, the Iphone will have pulled away with the realeased a good model. I dont think that the first released version of ipone will be very good beacuse of the videos i watched about its controls/interface.

9. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Idk, the iPhone could be good...

10. chen2

chen2 Member

I argue that zune will win. That is because we are Windows users, Zune is probably your best choice.

11. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

NO! The zune will have as many problems as windows

12. chen2

chen2 Member

Every product has its own problems. But I believe that Microsoft can slove the problems.

13. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

They haven't solved all the problems for Windows! You're right they can if they want too! But the ipod had such a huge head start!

14. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

The ZUNE is bigger and better!!! and has more and improved features for the same cost of the 30GIG iPod @$249.00 At this point it's a comsumer loyalty call. The preferred MP3 is still the iPod which is seen as fashion accessory hence the "ZUNE is too big" excuse. Microsoft improved on the IPod which makes it naturally better. Consumers are not just going with simple trade off because $249.00 is not peanuts to the average 16yr to 21yr old or the parent who ends up actually paying for the device. I received the ZUNE as a gift recently and I am impressed. Everything you wished were better about the iPod Miccrosoft improved on i.e. larger 3inch screen, FM radio, wireless (though currently temporary) transmision of songs and photos.

Again I can accept the minor difference in size considering you get more for the same money. You can now enjoy watching a movie on your MP3 as the 1/2 inch improvement in screen size makes a significant difference in whether one can enjoy watching a video or film from such small device. More than just a FM radio feature, ZUNE's radio also serves as a traditional source of imformation i.e. news and weather aside from music. The ability to transmit music wirelessly speaks to many peoples many music taste, as one could simply try out a song or album/cd single say between friends, family, or even a stanger if allowed. The iPod still has much to be desired as it has been the standard. Features like video for the iPod with it's 2.5inch screen is more of a useles innovation as the screen is just too small to enjoy.

The iPod control is querky often sending it's user all over the place to control ones desired feature. IPod's bling appealing chrome backing retains smudges giving the iPod a greasy look & feel. The included ZUNE software is far easier to use than iPod's. I've read where some iPod sympathizer's make silly references to the iPod being louder? How loud do you want your ear set to be when the head set speakers are designed to rest inside the the ear? Access to music isn't jumbled together on the ZUNE. You can easily and I emphasize easily reference music with the ZUNE by artist name,album, playlists, songs, or genre by use of an easy to control dial and heading that runs along the top of the ZUNE's screen.

Other competition like the Creative brand MP3 ZEN makes the mistake of attempting to fool it's buyer by looking like and even functioning like the iPod which in some ways gives way to the ZEN being somewhat inferrior to the iPod. ZUNE in name draws on a similarity name wise to the ZEN, But again the ZUNE is it's own better animal. Give ZUNE a short minute to catch on. Buy next Christmas Microsoft will have the portable MP3 market in the bag.:p

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  15. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I am going to hold you to that as I highly disagree, Apple has the advantage, they have made the iPod a must have!

What dose this allow you to do?

~Domreis

16. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I am going to hold you to that as I highly disagree, Apple has the advantage, they have made the iPod a must have!

~Domreis

17. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

~Domreis

18. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Again, consumer loyalty. MAC improved on it's 30 & 80GIG MP3 devices in late 05/2006. The ZUNE comes out late in the 4th quarter 2006 to compete during the Christmas season. An iPod user is not going to run out and buy another competing MP3 device when eaRlier in the same year they've just purchased a $299.00 30GIG iPod, unless it has been damaged some where along the way. So again give the ZUNE some time to get more exposure to the new MP3 customers like me who saw no reason to have one until I saw ZUNE's favorable improvements. Hell, ZUNE's radio feature alone just snatched up America's senior citizen consumer base. More and more people will see what's better. MAC iPod needs to come up with something better than price matching.:p

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  19. dvdtozune

dvdtozune Guest

Do you know I see dead people?

[link removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
  20. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Not sure what your trying to say dvdtozune...but I already have the ZUNE software shown on that site made by cucusoft and it works well. iPod has had the same type software out for some time.:p