1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help me, VOB files...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Taz111, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Taz111

Taz111 Member

hi, firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong forum area, im not sure where it should be.
    After reading many websites, i found that the easiest way to convert a VOB file to a Mpeg1/2 was to just rename the vob file to '.mpg', but when i do that, nothing changes, the file still stays as a VOB and all it looks like is '[title_here].vob.mpg'
    is there another way to convert vob files to mpegs????
    please input any ideas, it would be much appreciated.

2. Taz111

Taz111 Member

sorry to the admin. i was in such a rush trying to post a message i didnt read the rules. sorry for putting "help me" at the beginning of my thread.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

taz111,

Try using TMPGEnc to go from VOB's to MPEG2 - Changing a suffix very rarely works :( Proggys are almost always needed -

Cheers and Welcome to aD

Pete

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  4. Taz111

Taz111 Member

Thanks scubapete! I'll try it, i have a trial version i just downloaded, i shall try it out. does it damage the quality or re-size the film?

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Damage ??

I think not -

We do have to change it though if you wish to put it on a CD which I assume that's what you're trying to do - -

Since you didn't tell us what you're goal is I'm just guessing -

"P"

6. Taz111

Taz111 Member

lol sorry.
    basically ive filmed alot of videos with my dvd camera. its a sony handycam. i think its the 90E, im not sure.
    And now i want to edit them into Adobe Premier or Windows Move Maker, i was told i could just put the dvd into my dvd-rom drive and i can edit straight using windows movie maker, but it doesnt work.
    So ive ripped the dvd to the computer, there are VOB's,IFOs and another type of file.
    To edit them in programmes like premiere they cant be VOBs and i need to convert them to a editable format.
    so i need a converter. preferably a FREE one that does not resize the film and damage the quality of the film.
    Oh yes, would it make a difference if my Video Camera had a FIREWIRE slot?? Would that mean it saves in a different format??

Sorry for the long 'essay'.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Your "Firewire" is the "high speed" type of connection that goes from your camera to your PC - a good thing.

Two ways to go - If you create a folder (type one out) and name it VIDEO_TS (written like that in CAPS), you can drag all your files into that and edit them using DVD Shrink (Free) in the re-Author mode (there is a start/stop function) http://www.dvdshrink.org/

then using DVD Decrypter (Free) burn them right to your DVD. http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

As I posted, if you want to go from DVD to MPEG or AVI use TMPGEnc DVD Author (Excellent for editing also) OR give DVD2AVI a try, "google" for that proggy –

Look at them and see what you think. You can download your movies into your PC (don't delete them from your camera) and play with them. If you delete them from your PC because you're dis-satisfied, you can then start over – I played with mine for a week until I found what I wanted –

Cheers,

If you want specific info, stop back and we'll see if we can bail you out -

8. Taz111

Taz111 Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That looks like it will do the job. I'm always going the other way but I'm putting a "Stickie" on it so I can recommend it to others -

Thanks - taz111

Ya see, we all learn something new everyday ?

Cheers,

Happy burning :)

Pete

10. Taz111

Taz111 Member

Hey once again,

so i tried AVS Converter, But the image quality wasnt too good, so i ended up going to the Sony shop and upgrading my camera so i dont have to go through all the converting ripping and transfers etc. its made me a happier! woop

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sometimes it just pays to make things a bit easier by throwing a little money at it (Lol)

I'm glad you got something that makes you happy -

Don't forget us, you don't have to have a problem to come to aD, you cane just stop by and perhaps you can help someone here - it helps them and makes you feel better too -

Cheers,

Pete

12. Taz111

Taz111 Member

Dont worry i wont forget this board, its pretty helpful. I have another problem now! after buying that upgrade it seems Windows Movie Maker wont let me edit the files, it says An interface ...i forgot now, but i think its to do with getting the right codec which i cant find. If you can help me with that now, that would be good! I cant edit my .mpg file in premiere either! please help if you had this problem!

13. jadsru1

jadsru1 Member

HI
    I am somewhat new to this ripping/copying/backing up/encoding stuff. I have been having a problem for a while and I think I am getting an idea how to resolve it.
    I have noticed for while not that not all my dvd backups played on my Dell laptop supplied LG DVD rom-- I use Power DVD 5--
    I thought it was a media issue, so I got other/better media to use...went from dunex, memorex to sony. I kept on getting the same problem, until I noticed that the only backups that play are the ones made with dvdxcopy platinum or dvdxrescue as opposed to the backups made with shrink 3.2, alcohol 120%, decrypter. (BTW, regardless of the media or software I used, they all played on my home dvd player) so I dismissed the bad media theory and started thinking at other things. What I gathered from all this is that dvdxcopy and rescue all produced and burnt from vob files, whereas the other programs copied from image files(iso, etc.)
    Now my question is: how, if possible, do you get vob files from shrink, decrypter, alcohol or any other software because I don't like using dvdxcopy.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Way to go jadsru1,

I just answered your exact same question in another thread. Do you have any idea what it feels like to answer a post and then see that my opinion wasn't worth a crap ?

You didn't care that I was spending my free time trying to help you, perhaps you thought it was funny - "Hey, I asked for help a bunch of times and had pple using their free time on me when they could have helped others, Yep, wasted their time and made sure other questions wouldn't be answered - Man was that a Hoot :)"

Well there junior, I didn't think it was funny at all. If you wanted to piss someone off, you succeeded. Yep, you read the forum rules and decided it didn't apply to you - Way to go jerk -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/105947

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/108502#587770

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/106679#587771 *

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/97255#587772

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

jadsru1,

If you have a question it's best to start a single thread of your own. As you've already found out it's bad form to hijack several other people's threads with your own question. We're happy to help but we need to be couteous to other members and keep our forums clean and orderly :)