1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

more mods

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Polyarny, Aug 13, 2006.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

nah, it's because my firm monitors and moans about every single mouse click on a web page (honest). So this thread has me in detention already :)

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i dealt with that idiot but not those other 2 as was still asleep as i didn't leave ad site til about 1:30am than getting up at 10am.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Kl, well creaky took swift action anyway...

You should have seen it - one and a half pages of spam threads, wiped all relevant onesof the first page :(

It's things like that, that drive away valuable members of ad - gets on my t*ts lol

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  5. ddp

i can see them in both other topics & safety valve whereas regular members can't as we hide threads.

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Oh my bad - I thought you deleted them or somthing and so you wouldn't have seen it.

7. ddp

we mods can see them.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Mods see all ddp - Big brother's watching you ;)

I don't watch the program - I've read the book 1984 - George Orwell.

9. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

while part of me agrees that more mods would help, i also see it becoming a point a where the mods end up fighting among themselves as well (yes it has happened in the past). we have probably the best mod staff i've seen here in a long time, we're tight, we communicate, and we get along nicely. what we need is more members playing the role of "deputy" and helping us out by reporting posts, PMing us, etc, etc. this does mean for members to play vigalante, thats our job. the word "help" does not mean flame a guy thats breakin the rules, it just means get in touch with one of us. perhaps a "mass PM to all mods" would help the situation, and be more user friendly to the members since only 1 PM would be sent to all of us. one other thing that would help is to adopt the "report and ignore" policy for things that violate our rules or disrupt our happy little family here. dont add to the chaos by joining in on a thread, just report it and walk away. sometimes people mean well by joining a thread but they actually cause more harm than good by commenting places that should have been left alone for us to deal with. one thread in particular comes to mind, without mentioning any names or topics, there was a situation where someone got out of line, good intending members came to "save the day" and got in a flame war with the starter of the thread. by the time i actually got to the thread it was such chaos that i just banned everyone on it!! so we had 1 retard and about 5 good members get banned, when all they had to do was report the damn thread and stay off of it and everything would have been fine (with the exception of the 1 banned retard).
    the point is, more mods is not the answer. we've always had a small mod population, mainly because it works! the true answer is for everyone else to do the right thing and help us out without getting involved.

10. rav009

rav009 Active member

^Good point!

I report every offensive post I see, if there isn't any action taken or the situation gets worse I usually log onto the #ad_buddies chat (unless I'm already there) and report it to Creaky or Herbsman as there on there 24/7 :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  11. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

@ Darthnip

"Quoted for truth".
    My sig needed an update anyway.
    You are the man! (Have you killed anything lately?)
    All the mods here are great,
    They all blend together very well.

@ RAV

Lets NOT start pointing fingers.
    If your not part of the solution your part of the problem.
    Past is past I say let begons be just that.
    Zero tolerance now let the fun begin.

12. rav009

rav009 Active member

True, but it is being dealt with now so it doesnt matter, it has nothing to do with me, just thought it was a perfect example and related to what Darth was talking about.

Edited it now seing as the game forums are about to be cleansed.

13. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

@darth your right man.I play the deputy sometimes but I used to get into the mix thinking I was helping, but sometimes it just creates a big fuss and it doesn't help at all.Lately I have stopped though.I also want to stop saying things like "reported" because I've had people sign back up all angry that I reported them LOL.

It's different if your already involved in a thread and someone blasts you or someone else.I never went to a thread that I wasn't already in to just to lay into someone.That is just stupid and I can think of a few who do that ,but won't mention any names.If it's none of my bussiness then I'm not there.

14. creaky

hopefully now more of you good posters will reach for the 'offensive report' button, and [bold]much more often[/bold] as us mods can only fix as much as we can see, so we do need and appreciate as much help as people can give us..

..we do get a fair few offensive reports, but we only get a fraction of what we should be getting; before mod i virtually sat on the offensive report button, Darth & Neph will attest to that :)

Plus as rav says, i try to be on ad_buddies every night, so can attend to stuff instantly if someone hollers.

edit- there's a related thread here too - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/380197 -

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Nice one Creaky, that link is for this thread!!

LOL!!

Need some shut eye?

16. creaky

oops, annoying mousepad on laptop. sorted, thankyou kind sir :)

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

No worries! Sorry for stating the obvious....

Made me laugh though..

18. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

hehe, To quote darth
    I infact am a deputy sheriff. lol
    As for needing more mods, I have said it many times in the IRC room "I would kill every man and his dog to to be a mod here".
    Quite often we get reports of things going on and there are no mods about to do anything about it. As I am in Australia I am awake and online at the time when herbs and creaky are asleep.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  19. creaky