1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I rip only selected chapters from a DVD?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by toddsmith, Aug 30, 2003.

1. toddsmith

toddsmith Guest

I need to duplicate a DVD that is 6.6 GB. However, I only need about half the chapters (multiple short films). When I try copying in Movie Only mode, it lists just one title with 11 chapters. Is it possible to rip only the chapters I need, which would then fit on one disk? I'm using DVD Backup, DVD2oneX, and Disk Copy.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Brasco23

Brasco23 Member

I dont think disk copy will work you need another burning program like Toast, it works great. I couldnt burn with disk copy

3. highe5

highe5 Guest

If you're altering the order or number of chapters from a DVD, then you'll definitely need something like DVD Studio Pro. The reason for this is that every ingredient of the original DVD needs to be present for the DVD to play AT ALL, ie if you take anything out, however small the file, then when you try to make a copy, it simply will not play.

The solution if you want only certain chapters is to use, for instance, DVD Extractor (or OSEx if you're in OSX) to extract at chapter level. make sure you extract each chapter individually, and remember the order (!). This will demux each chapter into the audio & video parts.

Then use DVD Studio Pro to re-assemble the parts again (you'll need to add tracks & chapters - see the DVDSP help on that one). Once correctly assembled, you can then build and burn you own "custom" version of the original DVD.

Good luck and have patience... at first it seems a longwinded way of doing what may seem a simple thing, but once you've done it, you'll understand the way DVD works much better!

4. highe5

highe5 Guest

Sorry, I just noticed that you've been using DVD Backup - that should be fine instead of OSEx to extract at chapter level.

5. Brasco23

Brasco23 Member

where do you get dvd pro and is that for Mac OSX

6. highe5

highe5 Guest