1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx 5.03 problem

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by powerdup, Mar 4, 2003.

1. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

has anyone had any problems while using divx 5.03? I recently used the codec to encode Undisputed and everything was fine until somewhere in the middle of the movie, quality dropped big-time (eg colors drainage?, blockiness and a lot of artifacts)until about 2 mins. before the film ended quality went back to normal. anyone experience this type of prob?

2. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

powerdup, I've been getting great video results using DivX 5.0.3 Pro multi-pass. What program are you using to encode with?

3. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I'm using smart ripper to get the vob files, dvd2avi for creating .d2v project,frameserving and to save the audio as a .wav file, vfapi to convert .d2v file into a pseudo avi, cdex to convert wav into riff-wav, and finally virtual dub to encode everything with the codec of choice.

I don't know if using the multipass encoding would solve any of my probs because i've only done 1-pass encoding. I dont know what could be going wrong? I used the same settings for the movie with divx 5.02 and everything works fine.
    BTW, with all your encodes with the divx 5.03 codec, what bitrates are you encoding at? over 1000kbps or below, because ive only used bitrates of over a 1000kbps.

4. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

I'd recommend using 2-(or more)pass. The 2nd pass really cleans up the video a lot. You will have no artifacts, blocks or pixelation after the 2nd pass. You will only be left with balancing bitrate versus color tone depth (flesh tones, sky, smoke). Just remember you have to change the settings in the DivX settings dialog between passes. First pass should be: Multipass - 1st Pass. Second pass should be: Multipass - Nth Pass. (Any subsequent passes should be Multipass - Nth Pass) During all passes, all options at the bottom left of the DivX dialog (bitrate control tab) should be checked i.e.: write(1st pass)/read(2nd pass) log file, update log file, read mv file, do not prompt with errors and warnings.

There is a nice little program called DVDx that has 2-pass built in very nicely. You set up both pass settings right up front and then let it do its thing. You can read my other post thread about it here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/25843

Good luck & have fun..

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I haven't tested DivX 5.03 encoder but did download to take a "peek". Remember that if you don't have a registered version, you'll see the DivX logo in playback. I personally recommend you use Vidomi or Gordian Knot to make backups (dvd2divx) using MPEG4 DivX 3x alpha. Yes, definatly go 2-pass (vbr).

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2003
  6. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

My version of DivX Pro 5.0.3 is registered and I see the logo at the beginning of playback also. But this can be turned off in Start Menu / DivX / Decoder Configuration - Quality Settings tab, click "Disable Logo." I leave mine unchecked cause it doesn't bother me and I think it's actually kinda neat. :)

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Thanks for the "tip" on how to disable that stupid looking logo m8. it doesn't apply to me anyways. I believe you posted on another thread you're encountering audio sync problems? This is "usually" the DivX encoders fault most of the time. Might be a good idea to switch back to what worked best for you PopWeasel.

Shoey

8. mjjk

mjjk Member

I experienced the same thing: @ 1-pass the quality started rather nice, then had three 2-minute or so blinks where the quality fell into almost zero (as if watching some old, old video), where I guess the Kbit rate was not above 300, then suddenly went back into normal again. I cannot explain that, but here's my solution: I had a frameserver (*.avs). I had it processed into 503 by VirtualDub. There were these blinks, ok. Then I loaded the avs again and had the job done anew into a new file. The blinks, at my surprise, were at different places. So; I cut of the good parts (there were luckily no overlaps) and glued them together (frame-precise, else you risk a/v desynth). And: voila, I got aperfect effect of a 1:53 movie (Interview with the Vampire) @ 25fps n 1CD with 718Mb avi DivX 5.03.
    I am definitely not going back to Xvid now that there is 5.03.