1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs won't play in original drive

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by stitch975, Mar 3, 2007.

1. stitch975

stitch975 Guest

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might know why dvd's that I burn won't play in the dvd burner but will playback on other dvd-rom drives.
    The dvd burner I'm using is a Pioneer dvr 106d and I mainly use it to back up files. I can access these dvd's in other DVD drives but the Pioneer just doesn't even believe it has a disc in it.

Could it be a problem with the actual drive? It has no problem playing other people's dvd's. I have noticed that my computer thinks its a CD-RW drive [and my CD Burner is just just a plain CD drive].

This is my first post so I hope its in the right place. I did have a look around the guides and things and I found one thread that seems to be similar but it didn't have a solution:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/402624

Appreciate any help.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi stitch975
    Firmware up to date on the burner?
    Here's a link for it - link.

If the drive came with the pc use the one for the pc manufacturer - otherwise 1.08 is the latest.

It's an older burner - what media are you using? Like Sony +R 16x.

This burner may have a harder time with newer media - the last firmware update was in 2004 but see if it's up to date too. If it's not may help.

3. stitch975

stitch975 Guest

Thanks,

I updated the firmware and it made no difference.
    It doesn't seem to matter what make of disc I use, It never recognises the discs that it burnt successfully, even though they work in other peoples drives.

4. binkie7

Which different media have you tried and what the rated burn speed of them?

It is an older drive - max burn speed of 4x so this maybe a sign to get a new drive (pretty cheap now) but a good thing it's still burning to media.

5. stitch975

stitch975 Guest

I've tried all makes of DVDs, while it burns some ok and some not ok, it doesn't seem to matter which when it comes to its lack of abilty to read discs it has burnt [at 4x].

I guess it may well be the drive is not very good. I'm finding other people having the same issue. I'm a bit skint at the mo so I can't buy a new drive yet.

Someone else suggested it might be a corrupt aspi layer. Any idea what this is and if its safe to update it?

6. binkie7

May be but additional aspi's are usually only used for older programs.
    It's basically the driver interface between the burner and pc.

Most programs now use their own or Windows SPTI.
    So if you didn't have any say of the adaptec pack of aspi's now - no use in installing them - might cause more harm than good.

What burning program are you using? If you have Nero you can use ToolKit>InfoTool>ASPI tab to see what's installed.