1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

instructions

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by mkaone, Sep 3, 2004.

1. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hello, I remember in the past there was a list of things to perform. Before copying a disk. Does anyone remember where I can view this at?
    thanks
    mka

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mka, Welcome to aD,

For problems reading DVD's here's a few Helpful Hints:

For starters you can do the following:

1. Thoroughly clean the disc you are about to copy

2. Start playing your DVD on your Power DVD or other player. Play for about 2 OR 3 minutes then open your ripper program, continue to play until the rip begins - then turn your player off.

Should you have problems with DVD Shrink or your RF XCopy, try ripping with DVD Decrypter. You can also adjust Decrypter under tools, settings, File, to remove PUO's - this works on some nasty discs.

Lastly, you can rip with SmartRipper.

When you have your files, pick them up with either your DVD XCopy RF, CloneDVD2, DVD2One OR your DVD Shrink for processing :)

I hope that helps,

Cheers,

Pete

3. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hi, and thanks.
    So if I have trouble with copying with dvdxcopy platinum. I use dvd decryper and it puts files on my computer Correct?
    Then how do I get those files to dvd shrink?
    Then how do I burn to dvd? Do I use my dvdxcopy platinum or some other program.

I have dvd xcopy platinum
    I have dvd decrypter version 3.2.2.0
    I have dvd shrink 3.2 version 3.2.0.15

I tried earlier with no direction and I could not get it to copy. So if you could provide the steps on how to use each program, with each other. To create my copy I will greatly appreciate it.
    thanks
    mka

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Mka,

If you have RF XCopy Platinum you'll have a "Browser" button on your program, you can pick it up with that.

Otherwise, Use DVD Decrypter to rip in the "File" mode then pick up the files with DVD Shrink's "Open Files" and continue to process with DVD Shrink and burn with DVD Decrypter.

Here's a guide for DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Don't forget to stop back and tell us how you made out :)

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  5. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hi Pete,
    I finally got it to work burned 2 dvd in a row. It said a successful burn.
    But I have a few questions, How does dvd xcopy plat differ from this process?
    Can I use one of these programs with dvd xcopy plat, for example run dvd shrink & burn with dvdxcopy. If so do you have instructions for that?
    I was trying to make myself a bu copy of Starsky & Hutch & xcopy would not work, so I tried dvd shrink & dvd decrypter & it worked.
    I just liked the xcopy plat because I was able to delete some scenes or other material from the dvd before burning.

Any more help you can give me I appreciate.

1 last ? using the dvd shrink & dvd decrypter method verses the dvd xcopy plat version is there a difference in quality? One way better than the other?
    thanks
    mkaone

I am sorry I thought of another ? When I save the movie to the place like you suggested C:/ALL DVD Work/My movie name. Do I need to make a new folder under ALL MY DVD Work folder?
    And after I burn the dvd does the dvd info stay in the file or does it somehow leave my harddrive. Or do I need to delete?

Thanks again Mkaone

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Nope, BUT you can use DVD Decrypter to burn. DVD XCopy won't let you use just part of its proggy to burn :(
    I don't know how much clearer I can be - If your DVD XCopy is a RF version Then and only then can you pickup files with it - A ripper version doesn't have a "Browse" button.

You can delete any or all files with DVD Shrink in the re-Author mode :)
    Give it a try, it's quite good –

You have much more control with DVD Shrink than you do with DVD XCopy, it's no contest.
    The only major difference is DVD XCopy is quicker than is DVD Shrink especially when using Shrink's Deep Analysis and/or DVD Shrink's Quality Enhancements (but the quality enhancements are a really nice feature).
    I think the quality is about the same That's pretty scary considering that one costs $100.00 Plus (USD) and the other one is FREE - (It made me sick that I blew my $$$$ on XCopy)

(Huuuummm, and I thought I was done (Lol)

No. Yes. No it's still there. Either Copy the next job in the same folder OR delete it.

OK, here's what your "Uncle" ScubaPete does -
    Like you, when I'm using DVD Shrink, I trim a bit off the DVD and like I say in my guide, I back it up on my HD.
    When I'm done burning I keep the DVD's files on my PC for awhile, like a week or two - that way, if I decide to burn another disc I'll call up CopyToDVD and burn my disc OR I just might wish to watch it using my PC's player..

At any given time I may have between 15 to 30 movies just sitting there. I have a bunch that I like to watch without having to leave the table to look for a disc -When my 520 GB HD starts to fill up (which it does all to often) and I start to shop for another HD I begin to consider deleting some movies. That's why I name each DVD with it's own name.

If you want to delete your files, go right ahead - I also have one file that I label C:\All My DVD Work\Temp File. It's what it is - When I backup a DVD I use that file (if I don't want to keep it) and when I do the next one I'm asked if I want to delete the files there I answer "Yes" and the one previously is gone. Did I explain it well enough ?

Cheers,

Pete

7. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hi Pete,
    I have the RF version & the R version & also the version where I put the ripper back into the RF version.. So I guess what is the deal about dvd xcopy plat VS dvs shrink & decrypt? Is it that when I use xcopy to leave some stuff out. That I don't use the menu functionality. I noticed in shrink when I tried to leave some stuff off I got A pop window about losing the menu functionality.

Also I have not figured out to use the quote part on this forum
    But You said
    "When I'm done burning I keep the DVD's files on my PC for awhile, like a week or two - that way, if I decide to burn another disc I'll call up CopyToDVD"
    When you decide to burn another copy do you use this CopytoDVD, Is this a program? Or do you just use dvd decrypt?
    Also you said "If you want to delete your files, go right ahead - I also have one file that I label C:\All My DVD Work\Temp File. It's what it is - When I backup a DVD I use that file (if I don't want to keep it) and when I do the next one I'm asked if I want to delete the files there I answer "Yes" and the one previously is gone. Did I explain it well enough ?"
    So All I have to do is make a file on my desktop C:\All My DVD Work\Temp File, alond side the one C:\ALL MY DVD Work\MY MOVIE, and use either one. When I burn another movie it will automatically ask me if I want to delete the previous one correct?

1 last thing I found confusing though , When in shrink & I hit re-author and try to make changes or after I make changes. Do I hit "Full DIsc" or do I hit "Backup" Because in your guide you said

Click "Open Disk" and let DVD Shrink analyze (rip) your DVD. If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim your movie a little, you can "un-tick" audio you don't want like the foreign audio streams, i.e. Outer Mongolian or Eastern Himalayan Yak language selections or the Director's comments. This will result in your DVD requiring less compression and a better quality picture. If you would like, as I do, to get rid of all the extras and trailers thus compressing your movie as little as possible (giving you the best quality picture), click "Re-author" then, under "Main Movie" select "Title 1" If there are more choices, look at the time and select the longest one as that is usually the main attraction. Click and drag the "Title 1" from the right-hand side of the screen to the left-hand side, under the "DVD Structure" (DVD) and release it there. Bingo, Bango, you are done editing, giving you the least compression (best quality), backup possible. Now select "Full Disc" to get ready to finish.

Then in the next part you say hit backup. Its just a little confusing to me.

Thanks Pete
    For all the Help and patience

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

CopyToDVD is just another proggy (for money proggy) that DVD Shrink gets along with but there's no reason in the world why you can't use DVD Decrypter to burn your ISO image for you.

If you wish to keep a copy of your DVD until you are sure it works in all players, put it in a folder with it's own name. If you don't want to keep it around, put it in your "Temp" folder and next burn, when it asks if you wish to delete it just say "Yes" OR, Delete it when the fancy strikes you (Lol)

When coming from re-Author after you've finished editing, select "Backup". NOT full disc.

Oooppps, major mis-type there - It should read select "Backup" to get ready to finish -

I'm surprised no one has brought my attention to that before -

You want to be in Full Disc if you are doing a full backup (which does include the "Un-ticking" of un-wanted Audio tracks).

Hitting Full Disc when coming from re-author will lose all the editing you just finished doing.

When coming from re-Author select "Backup" and then continue with the settings required when in "Backup"..

Finally, When you want to "Quote" someone, follow the instructions above the reply box -

Type [quote ] Cut and paste your text in here[/quote ] Just type the things within the brackets without the 2 spaces I left open (Lol) :)

Cheers,

Pete

BTW, I corrected the guide on the page I linked you too -

9. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hi, Thanks your advice has allowed me to use programs with no trouble.
    But I do have a question when using dvd shrink and dvd dcerypter I noticed that it compress's automatically. In dvd x copy it also does this. What is your take on the compressing, comparing the 2?
    Can you explain how and if I should mess with using the compress , what setting do I use, when should I use it, etc.. verses using the programs default for automatic compression.
    thanks
    mka
    ***I just tried the backup of a disk(with dvdshrink &decrypt) and I hit back up and pointed to my folder "All My DVD work Temp" folder, but it did not ask me to delete previous movie. What did I do wrong?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mkaone,

Use DVD XCopy if you like BUT you can do more with DVD Shrink's compression without losing your menus.

After you open DVD Shrink and have used either "Open Disc", "Open Files", OR "Open Disc Image" to load your DVD, look to your right and under the "Compression" tab you'll see the word "Video" under that you'll see a pull down box that currently says "Automatic". Now, on your left you'll see "DVD Structure", that's where you'll see your DVD parts, "Menu", "Main Movie", "Extras" and sometimes "Unreferenced Material". By clicking on the "Extras", you can go back to your right and click that pull down arrow and you'll see "Still Image" OR "Still Picture". By clicking on "Still Picture" you can compress the "Extras" down to almost nothing, thereby allowing your "Main Movie" more room (less compression) thereby improving your picture. You can do the same with your "Unreferenced Material" to gain still more room for your "Main Movie".
    To top it all off, uncheck all the languages in both the "Extras" and "Un referenced Materials" and uncheck those foreign languages in the Main Movie, just the ones you don't want, gaining even more room for your DVD without touching your menus. :D)

Cheers,

Pete

About your Temp folder - If it didn't delete it for you, go to the folder and delete it yourself :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  11. mkaone

mkaone Member

Thanks, but can you help me setup the temp folder so it will work. I like the idea of it automatically asking , then deleting the last movie.
    thanks
    mka

12. mkaone

mkaone Member

HI

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mkaone,

You may be doing something wrong -

Select a path i.e., C:\All My DVD Work\DVD Shrink\Temp file

When you're working with a DVD you want to "lose" after burning, put it in your "temp file", The next time you save to that file DVD Shrink will tell you there is something there and "Do you wish to delete it ?", answer, "Yes !" and the old one will be -
    eliminated -

Cheers,

Pete

14. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hello, So I will goto my c drive and
    Click on c create new folder (called All My DVD Work), then create a new folder under that called(dvd shrink), then create a folder under that called(Temp) , Then open the temp folder and type the name of the movie.
    C:All My DVD work
    DVD Shrink
    Temp
    name of movie(example movie sop 1)
    Correct??

So now that I have typed the name of my movie I have dvd shrink goto this location and pick that file name. And the next time I want to burn movie I just select same movie name(example sop1) even the the new movie is a different name and it will ask to delete the old movie?

I hope this is it
    thanks again
    mka

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mka,

Not quite - When you put the movies in the Temp file don't name them, the next time you place an un-named movie it will delete the first one. For the ones you wish to keep, name them :)

You don't need so many folders -
    C:\All DVD Work\Temp file folder

When you name a movie it will look like this -

C:\All DVD Work\saved movie
    Temp file folder

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  16. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hi, I created this C:\All DVD Work\Temp file folder
    and when I hit backup on dvdshrink. I pointed to this folder, but it automatically created a name for the movie. I then erased the movie title and got an error that I needed a correct iso name.
    For example the movie is called "Happy",when I clicked on backup I navigated to C:\All DVD Work\Temp file\happy
    But I had to put in a name before I could backup.
    So can you please explain again how to exactly create this folder Because I would really like to have it delete the the last movie. Or have the choice to save in another file if I want to save movie.
    Please help
    Thanks
    mka

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey guy, we'll get it right OR I'll call in an expert - I speak with DVD Shrink's head helper everyday :)

Meanwhile, don't make a seperate folder -

C:\All DVD Work\Temp file\happy

Just allow it to stay in the "Temp" file like this -

C:\All DVD Work\Temp file "Happy"

as the man said, "F@$#'em if they can't take a joke." (Lol)

NOW, the next time you go to burn and you save it to your "Temp file" it will see "Happy" and say, "There's already somebody living there do you want to, "kick them out ?" Answer YEP ! and you should be good to go :) Okie, Dokie ?

Rock on my friend - rock on -

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)

18. mkaone

mkaone Member

Ok, Something is wrong. Let me tell you what I did step by step.
    right clicked on my c:drive & selected create new folder(called it "All DVD Work"), Then I right clicked on that folder & selected create new folder(called it "Temp").
    Then I copied happy into that directory when I hit backup on dvd shrink. Everthing worked ok. Now I am doing another movie(girl at door),so when I got to the backup on dvdshrink I selected c then Folder(All DVD Work), then folder(Temp). And shrink started right away. It did not ask or say anything about the file "Happy" being there.

So I can't figure it out these files are taking a lot of room up on harddrive. That's why I like it to ask to delete the other file"Happy"

Also you keep mentioning don't name the file but dvd shrink does it automatically.
    HELP I am losing it I can figure this out(LOL)
    thanks
    Mka

PS: I just bought 8X write DVD, But I noticed when movie was burning in Decrypter it only wrote at 4X. Can you explain? My writer is a 8X burner.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy mka,

Here's the difference, (Sorry, I thought it was included in my guide but it isn't) When you're in "Backup", go to the "Burn Settings" tab, where it says "Volume Label" type in "Original Movie". From now on all your Movie backups will say "Original Movie" - continue to back them up into the same folder (Your TEMP folder) and FINALY, it should all work -

Once again, ScubaPete Bad, - me sorry ;(

First, you have to have 8X media (it costs a bit more) and I wouldn't be all that anxious to burn at 8X speed, you will have a greater chance of errors at a faster speed. My Pioneer is an 8X but I set everything at 4X to avoid coasters :)

Cheers,

Pete

20. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hi Pete,
    My bad I did buy the 8x media. I was just curious why my 8x burner would not burn my 8x dvd disc at 8x.
    I will give the following a try, and now I do believe I understand each time I go to save the movie "original movie", which will now be the default iut will say file already exists do you want to overwrite[bold]Cool

Thanks
    mka

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004