1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to copy computer games

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by swenyb, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Avnged

Avnged Member

hey i have a quick question, for alcohol 120%
    ok for burning a computer game what do i choose for Write Method? like Raw Sao + sub, DAO / SAO, or RAW SAO?
    this would be much appriciated and if ne one plays it is warcraft 3 easy to burn like with out any problems? thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I believe the write method should be automatic when you select the proper profile for whatever protection you're up against.

3. robert89

robert89 Guest

I NEED HELP :-(
    I DID WHAT YOU SAID BUT I AM STUCK
    [12:23:08 PM] Signs on CD/DVD indicate SafeDisc 2.70
    [12:23:14 PM] SafeDisc 2.70.030 detected -> E:\Files\HALO.EXE
    [12:23:36 PM] --- File(s) Scan Finished [27.55s] ---
    WHAT DO I DO NOW?

4. Nephilim

5. Dwarfy69

Dwarfy69 Member

Im a complete noob to this but ill ask anyway. im trying to back-up my warcraft 3 frozen throne cd i have 2 codes so thats not the problem i just dont know how to copy it ive tried 2 methods that werent effective because i know they didnt get round the copy protection, when i run aray it says

[20:59:52 PM] SecuROM detected -> D:\TheFrozenThrone [D10BC487]

i have whatever the standard dell re-writer is and im writing at the fastest speed (ill go slower)

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?!

ive tried using alcohol 120% but once ive finished it says "please insert the origonal disc instead of the backup"

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  6. Dwarfy69

Dwarfy69 Member

i tried to copy it again with different settings and it said there was a reading error (unidentifiable)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

7. Nephilim

Are you using the SecuROM *NEW* 4x/5x profile? Have you tried reducing the read and write speeds to 4X? What make/model burner are you using?

* Let's clean up the language in the sig ;)

8. Dwarfy69

Dwarfy69 Member

how do i find out which profile of securom im/its using? i have no idea what or where this is i just know it exists from the a-ray scanner.

i also have NO idea whatsoever what make/model burner im using im just using the re-write drive in my computer which is a dell 2400.....about 1/2 a year old.....

yes ive tried reducing the speed of reading and writing to 4 but when i do that an error comes up

9. Nephilim

* Let's clean up the language in the sig

10. Dwarfy69

Dwarfy69 Member

cleaned it up.....i found out that it i boot up the game with the origonal disc and then switch to a backup disc it works........weird so the backup i made just doesnt allow the game to start

11. Nephilim

What's happening is your copy isn't accurate enough to start the game.

To give you a better understanding of what I'm talking about I'll explain a couple things. Unlike burning DVDs where the protection is stripped out, burning protected PC games involves having to read the protection then write it back to the disc - both of which need to be done very accurately. Not all burners are able to write the protections accurately enough to make a working copy......

When you try to run a protected game it needs to perform a "handshake" of sorts between the disc and the game on your hard drive to verify that the disc is legitimate. If the protection is written back to the disc accurately enough it'll pass the handshake and you have what's known as a "working" copy – one that doesn't need emulation to run. If the copy is less than perfect the handshake will fail because the copy protection will detect that there's something fishy with the copy. In that case you can use emulation tools which basically help the disc pass the handshake process.

12. Dwarfy69

Dwarfy69 Member

so what shall i do then....try reading at the slowest speed? does that make it more accurate?

13. Nephilim

Slower read speeds definitely help accuracy and is especially critical with SecuROM games.