1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO versus VIDEO_TS

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by GeorgiaC, Jan 23, 2008.

1. GeorgiaC

GeorgiaC Member

What is the difference between using ISO versus VIDEO_TS?

2. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi,

An .ISO is a container, which may store several files.

The advantage, is you only have 1 file on your PC.

The disadvantage, if this .ISO has files that you need, a report, a database etc... you cannot access it just like that.

\VIDEO_TS\ will store several files:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    etc...

If you delete one of those files, your DVD Output is basicly no good.

Personally, when converting files, I always keep the \movie_name\Video_TS

If I RIP a DVD, most software will offer to make an .ISO, and I do !

3. GeorgiaC

GeorgiaC Member

I just backup my DVD and then delete it off my hard drive as soon as I burn it, so it seems just the ISO is good for me.

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

If you like iso files then use imgburn free from

www.imgburn.com

5. GeorgiaC

GeorgiaC Member

What brought this up was using DVDFab Platinum. I tried the TS way and the ISO way and the ISO seemed to be faster. I've got RipIt4Me and just let it do it's thing, but since RipIt has problems sometimes with the newer DVDs, I've had to look at purchase products (though I do have DVDFab HD).

I thought if I bought DVDFab or AnyDVD, they would work like RipIt (one click does it all)??? But if I read the guides right, you have to use VOB and/or Fix before you burn. I'm just trying to learn the differences in using DVDFab for now (since AnyDVD is so high now). Hence, the question about TS and ISO.

Yall have to bear with me. I know it's taxing putting up with newbies, but I've read the guides and read the posts in the forum. Finally, when my head starts to spin, I have to drop it for a bit and come back later. There's a learning curve to working with DVDs and I'm still going around the bend.

I wish there were a "Backing up DVDs for Dummies"!

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

There is one, you have to rip to a Video_TS folder so you could open the files with FixVts;not all movies require the use of VobBlanke and/or Fixvts, but it is recommended:

Here is your guide for "dummies":~)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/494836

7. GeorgiaC

GeorgiaC Member

I've read and printed out that guide - it's excellent for instructions. I was more or less meaning something that describes the process, gives a little detail about each step along the way, why some programs are needed and others are not, etc.

This site is fabulous for helping me. I surely appreciate all the help. I would certainly do much better if I did this more than twice a month or so.

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  9. GeorgiaC

GeorgiaC Member

I've printed those out as well. I just need to sit down and study them for it all to come together, I suppose.

Do you think there will ever be a program that is as magical as RipIt?

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Don't know...maybe not for free. if you want to buy something good that is frequently update and does it all in one click, that is DVDFab Platinum.

11. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

DVDFab Platinum has some magical ability!

i just bought anydvd only used it a few times cant comment on it yet

12. GeorgiaC

GeorgiaC Member

Where I get confused about DVDFab Plat or DVDFab HD, is if it is one click, why are there guides to use other programs before you burn? Aren't vob blanker or fix (or something similar) being automatically used in that one click?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/334154
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/494836

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

DVDFab HD Decrypter is the name for the old DVDFab Decrypter. Now it can decrypt HD DVD, hence the name. It is the free version of DVDFab Platinum.
    DVDFab platinum it is a one click software(decrypts/rips/authors/shrinks/burns). It works with most titles.However, with some titles, there is no 1 click software that you can use. They might need to be further "cleaned" using Fixvts or VobBlanker.

DVDFab HD Decrypter, the simple, free version of DVDFab Platinum only decrypts/rips the movie to your HDD. From there you need someting like DVD Shrink/Nero Recode to author the DVD and shrink it if needed, then burn.
    FixVts and/or VbBlanker do not have to be used with all titles, just the ones that are problemativ, with extra junk that messes the structure. So most of the time, DVDFab platinum will work as a "1 click" application.

14. GeorgiaC

GeorgiaC Member

Thanks!! It makes sense to me that the Plat version does everything while the free version only starts the process. I've just not read it said so plainly before. Hmmmm.... Then again, it may just be one of those "duh" things.

Thanks for spelling it out for the dummie!!

PS I love the spinning ying/yang. I could go into a trance watching it.

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You're welcome!
    You can make another "1 Click" system with AnyDVD+DVD Shrink+ImgBurn or AnyDVD+Nero Recode, or AnyDVD+Clone DVD. But at the price is a little high for AnyDVD right now. Plus, DVDFab Platinum can output to many formats(iPod, PSP...)
    The little spinning thingie reminds me to be nice even when I respond to rude and/o idiotic posts:)!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]