1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing's ever simple...

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Munch2003, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Munch2003

Munch2003 Member

I have tried to backup copies of DVD movies and also PS2 DVD games using my imac superdrive, but everything I try never works.

So far I've managed to read just about every thread on ever forum relating to this matter but have never managed successfully as yet to pull it off.

First time I tried backing up a PS2 DVD, I disc imaged it using Toast Totanium 5.2 – this disc image worked fine (copied the same size disc and created a disc with the same size info and amount of items etc – but when I stuck it in my PS2 (chipped with a Neo Key and using DVD Region X Boot Disc), followed the boot disc instructions (load up Region X disc, wait till 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 appears on screen then put in copied game, wait till ticking sound is heard, then press start) the screen goes black and nothing happens. I tried this both ways (disc image and also creating a disc image to my HD, then creating new disc image through other) but neither way worked.

According to a lot of forums, it should work by simply 'Disc Imaging' the disc, but I am somewhat sceptical about this – nothing can be that easy... can it???

What am I doing wrong?

So far I've tried using BulkPaq blank DVD-R and also wasted the Apple DVD that shipped with my Mac – I can only assume that the latter was a quality disc as they are around £20 each to buy from Apple.

Onto the DVD movies...

Used DVDBackup to create the VIDEO_TS folder on my desktop which when played through DVD player on my mac works fine.

Although the folder is only 4.63Gb, when I try burning it to a blank DVD 4.7Gb disc, it comes up with the error that there is not enough room – the exact message is:

There's not enough free space on this disc: 2434176 sectors are needed, 2298496 sectors (4.4GB) are available

Has anyone else had this problem with BulkPaq 4.7GB discs or am I doing something wrong?
    Will I need anything else if the discs are bigger than 4.7GB?
    What are the best media to use, how much do they cost and from where?

I am seriously not interested in doing this for any financial reasons, simply to create working backups of my PS2 DVD Games and DVD movies, as my kids fail to realise the meaning of putting discs back in their cases before using another one and are scratcjing the hell out of them...

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated, sorry for waffling but I have tried to be as precise and descriptive as I can.

Cheers guys

Munch

2. XaviItz

XaviItz Member

Boffins?

4.7GB disks will only fit 4.28GB. This is true for both Macs and Wintel machines. The difference arises from the fact that 1024 Bytes (binary) = 1 Kilobyte (decimal).

Therefore, you can never fit 4.6GB onto a regular DVD-R, unless you first compress the data (think, .sit or .zip), but then the data cannot be read unless decompressed first.

3. ast3r3x

ast3r3x Member

i was reading that it depends and you can get more out of a quality discs then a bulk bought no name disc

4. Munch2003

Munch2003 Member

Boffins what?

Who mentioned anything about boffins? :))

So where are the best sites to get concise information about compressing DVDs so they can be read by DVD Players - what road do I need to go down now?

Cheers

Dan

5. NoSolderB

NoSolderB Guest

i have the version 4 with a no solder modchip,
    swap magic, and gameshark,
    i can boot cd-r games fine using nero and
    copy on the fly.
    i also have backed-up one dvd-r game using the same
    method only with dvd-r's and a dvd burner and
    boot with swap magic, it works great. It is called March Madness 2003 it is EA. i also tried backing up nba live 2003 (also EA), but froze at the start up screen showing the pic of Jason Kidd, i compared it on my pc and it is an identical copy, do i need to patch this game?
    if so how do i patch it, and where do i get the patch, DO NOT SAY MEGAGAMES, i tried it but they do not have crap

please send me more info

thanks in advance