1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Popcorn Sucks.

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by macburner, May 1, 2005.

1. macburner

macburner Guest

I tried popcorn because it had a 10 dollar rebate, here in the US, and because I thought it would be great to have on one of my other machines. Boy was I wrong. It sucks. I tried burning Meet The Fockers and it said (after I ripped with mac the ripper) That the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder were not valid. I tried deleting the Pref file (like someone said on this forum) and that didnt help either. Please help me.

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Though I know those who don't seem to have problems with popcorn, I know many more who do.

Dvd2oneX and toast will give you dozens more options, along with working properly.

3. macburner

macburner Guest

I actually have DVD2onex and it is great but i thought I would try popcorn and see it the compression was any better. And it isnt, the first part of a movie had extensive compression (the universal intro) and you could see the artifacting. Although It said that there was only 8% Quality loss. WTF? The movie is like super compressed. Oh well it was a waste of my money and I wont buy any more of roxio's dvd compression software. (Although I think they have great burning software, Toast Rules).

4. MUDMPR

MUDMPR Member

I've had good luck with Popcorn. I rip my DVD's with MTR 2.6.6 and then transfer the Video_TS file into the application. It compresses, although slightly slower than DVDoneX, and allows for easy removal of previews, FBI warnings, menus, and foreign languages.

5. macburner

macburner Guest

The compression algorithims are not as good a DVD2onex, because There is significant compression artifacting.