1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement for my Lite-On LTR-52327S

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by xakuma, Nov 27, 2004.

1. xakuma

xakuma Member

I currently have a Lite-On LTR-52327S (though I think that was pretty obvious from the subject). I am looking into purchasing a new DVD burner, and I was wondering if the Lite-On SOHW-1633S DVD burner has all the CD burning features of my LTR-52327S. Could I replace my burner with the new one and still be able to burn game backups as I could before? On a side note, though technically it's not supposed to be in this forum (I don't want to make a separate forum on the same topic), does anyone know how the media compatibility for DVD discs is for the SOHW-1633S? Thanks.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The Lite-On 4xx and 8xx series DVD burners have proven to quite capable of backing up games so, although I'm not up to speed on how well the 1633S does with games, it stands to reason it should do well.

I can tell you for a fact that the Plextor PX-708A and 712A are very fine performers when it comes to games and, similar to the DL 1633S, their new 716A DL burner should do well. I've use my 708A to make wonderful working copies of the latest SafeDisc and SecuROM protections :)

3. jonno123

jonno123 Member

i know this is unrelated but i hav a .iso problem and am looking for help. i hav 3 images on burnt to three seperate cds but on installation it asks for second cd so i put it in and it still tells me to put it in HELP!!!

4. xakuma

xakuma Member

Believe me, my first choice is a Plextor 716A, but they're just too expensive for me. Lite-Ons are more of the price range I'm looking for.

I actually have another somewhat related question. Most new games require backups to be read in a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, not a burner, for the backup to work. Because the Lite-On drive would replace both my CD and DVD burners I would have an extra IDE space for a DVD-ROM drive. Is buying a DVD-ROM drive really worth it? Is there a way around using only a reader and not a writer?

5. Nephilim

@ jonno123

If it's unrelated the start a new thread out of respect for xakuma :)

@ xakuma

If DL burning isn't a must then the 708A and 712A are going for very reasonable prices now ;)

As for the DVD-ROM, it's absolutely worth it. It saves wear and tear on your burner and can rip DVDs at full speed out of the box - something that burners can't do since they're locked to a 2x read speed for protected DVDs. The only way around it is to flash it with a hacked firmware and lose your warranty.

My highest recommendation goes to the Lite-On 166S or 167T. They're hands down the best ROMs out there and are a bargain at around $30 :)

6. xakuma

xakuma Member

Thanks for your help. I've decided to get an SOHD-167T and a PX-712A now and wait until DL discs are within reasonable price ranges (and, hopefully by that time, the PX-716A as well) to get a PX-716A. There's a $30 rebate on the 712A, which brings my price down to $50 for that and $30 for the DVD-ROM. I'll cover the extra expenses on the DVD-ROM by just ripping someone off on my Lite-On CD burner (I'm getting good at that now).

7. Nephilim

Outstanding choices! Both drives for $80 is and absolute steal - I paid $150 just for my PX-708A when they were brand new to the market. Happy burning and don't be a stranger :)

8. xakuma

xakuma Member

It's been a while, but now that I have my PX-712A, how exactly do I use its features to make a copy of a Securom disc?

9. Nephilim

Is the game on CD or DVD?

10. xakuma

xakuma Member

Well, specifically CD games, but could you explain both?

11. Nephilim

Here's a thread that'll give you some basic settings to start off with:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/117498

Keep in mind though that the 708A/712A differ from the Plexor Premium CD/RW drive in that they don't support the VariRate write method that works on SecuROM so well.