1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sector 2193248 error message..

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Strz, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Strz

Strz Member

I successfully copied a a DVD by using mac the ripper, DVD2one, and then finally Toast 6. This was months ago and have just recently gotten back to copying. But now everything seem to go fine until I get to the last stage, finishing with toast and I get a message that says "sector 2193248 is unreadable. Verification failed". If there is anyone out there that has any knowledge of this and can get me in the right direction please help........Oh! I've been using TDK DVD-R media. Thanks!!!!!!!

2. Londor

Londor Guest

Bad media. Have you had this problem with several DVDs or just one?

3. Strz

Strz Member

Just one......if the media is bad then how do I go about chosing the correct media? I found this TDK on a site saying it was good and highly recommended. Can you recommend something good?

4. Londor

Londor Guest

Even with the best media there is a tiny possibility that you may come across a bad DVD. If it is only one and you have success with the rest you should not worry.

I like Traxdata and Ridata by Ritek for everyday use (very good quality at a good price) and Taiyo Yuden (best quality but pricey). So far with these I have not had a single problem.

What DVD burner do you have?

5. Strz

Strz Member

I will give those a try.....I'm not sure what DVD burner I have, I'm using a Powerbook G4 with a Super Drive.

With using Mac The Ripper/DVD2one/and Toast, am I on the right track or is there a better system or application.

6. Londor

Londor Guest

Yes, you are using the right applications.

7. Strz

Strz Member

Thanks for the help...I'll give it a try.

8. wlfman

wlfman Member

I'm having similar problems on TDK 2x media. Rip DVD with MTR 2.0.2, recompress with DVD2oneX 1.4.1, burn at 2x with Toast 6.0.7 / Dragon Burn 4.0.22 / DVD Imager + Disc Utility.

With Toast, I got the "sector xxx is unreadable. verification failed" a few times. With Disc Utility, I got a few unsuccessful verifications. I thought nothing of them until now when I checked the discs. 5 out of 7 failed, and they can't be read near the end of the disc (using a Sony DVP-NS725P).

I was having problems before (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/100824) so it may be connected with that. But I've cleaned the lens, rebooted before each burning, had no other apps running, and made sure the screen saver didn't turn on. The only thing I can possibly think of is that my HD space is around 5GB when I did these recent attempts.

System info: iMac G4 800 MHz 15", 512MB RAM, 60GB HD, 10.3.5, Pioneer DVR-104

9. Londor

Londor Guest

It seems that those TDK discs have been poorly manufactured. Return them and do not buy TDK again unless they are made in Japan.

Wflman, Can you check the media code for the TDK?

10. wlfman

wlfman Member

TDKG02 according to DVD Media Inspector.

What confuses me is that there were more successful burns from the top of the spindle vs. the bottom. Out of a 25 pack, 8 were successful, 8 failed, and 9 are left. Of the 8 failed, 2 of them were from a dirty lens.

Reading the warranty, there is no mention of returning the spindle with all 25 discs so can I even return it? (But it does say verbatim that the warranty does not apply to "defects resulting from acts of God." Wow...)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004