1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toast alternatives...

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by wazahere, Nov 26, 2004.

1. wazahere

wazahere Guest

lately when trying to burn my backups of several different movies, i've been getting several buffer underruns and error code = -108 messges.

i've been looking around a bit and have found 2 programs that burn data dvd's fine, but i don't know how to burn my movies (which format to use)

i'm trying discblaze and burnz and these are the options i'm given for burning format:

with BURNZ:

HFS+
    Jiolet Extensions
    RockRidge Extensions
    ISO 9660 Level 2
    ISO-9660 Level 1

with DiscBlaze:

HFS+
    Jiolet
    Mac and PC Hybrid
    ISO 9660
    Audio CD
    MP3 CD
    Disk Image

Obviously, some of these are not the right choices, but i just wanted to list every option incase anyone wanted to know.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, by the way, I use MacTheRipper and DVDRemaster to get the files set up the way they nee to be to fit on the disc. I've had success with toast, it's just been very limited because of the errors i keep receiving.

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Well it needs to be a UDF disc.

It would also help if you tell us what your software and hardware setup is!

MG

3. Londor

Londor Guest

If you have DVD burner that is supported by the OS you can use DVDImager (http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html) and use Disk Utility/Copy.

4. wazahere

wazahere Guest

I'm not certain whether or not my dvd burner is supported... i do know that idvd does not recognize it.

as far as my hardware/software setup goes, i'll try to give as much information as possible as this is the first mac i've owned and i don't know all that much abou them yet.

ibook
    os x 10.3.5
    1.07 ghz powerpc g4
    512 mb ddr sdram

if there's anythin' else i should list lemme know..

and are there any alternatives to toast out there?

thanks again.

5. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Do you have TOAST?

6. Londor

Londor Guest

Install Patchburn.

http://www.patchburn.de/

Use DVDImager on a VIDEO_TS folder to obtain an image file (.dmg) in UDF format.
    Open DIsk Utility (Applications > Utilities).
    Click on the "burn" icon.
    Select the image.
    Burn it.

7. Londor

Londor Guest

8. wazahere

wazahere Guest

mg,
    yeah, i have toast. it's been giving me error code = -108 messages whenever i click burn in toast... that was my whole problem. if you have any suggestions about why that may be coming up and some way for me to get around it, that info would be great... but for now i'll just use londor's method of creating a disk image and burning from there.

and londor, i'm not really interested in using idvd, but thanks for the info just incase i ever do.

other than that, are there any other burning apps out there that can burn in dvd/udf format?

9. Londor

Londor Guest

10. Londor

Londor Guest

What version of Toast are you using?

11. wazahere

wazahere Guest

i've got toast 5.2 ..

and i think i've gotten aroudn buffer underrun problems by burning at 1x and not using any other apps... wish i hadn't wasted my money on a 4x burner, but whatever...

and i took a screenshot of the error code i get with toast, if it'd help if i posted it.. i just don't know how.

one other thing... do you know if patchburn is able to recognize burners through usb? i don't have a firewire cord for it so that's outta the question unless i absolutely need one and have to go out and by one.

12. Londor

Londor Guest

13. wazahere

wazahere Guest

alright, i suppose i could wait around 'til christmas and have someone buy one for me...

but there's two errors that have been messing up my burning.

one, the buffer underrun, and secondly, the -108 error.

specifically, i can't even get the burn to start after inserting a blank dvd because an error message comes up saying "Couldn't complete the last command because there wasn't enough memory error code = -108"

sorry, i shoulda said that initially.

like i said before, i think i have the buffer underruns fairly under control, but i will be investing in a firewire cable in the near future. it's just that i can't get to even start the burn with this memory issue coming up.

14. wazahere

wazahere Guest

my brother looked at my problems last time i was home and he is pretty experienced with macs and he couldn't figure it out. i have sufficient amount of memory left on my hard drive.

in toast, i have the disk cache set to be whatever the amount is i have left on my hard drive and the ram cache to be 64 mb (the max)

other than that, i'm not sure what would matter.

15. wazahere

wazahere Guest

well, i suppose this might be promising..
    i get the same error code using the same methods with a powerbook g4 with a superdrive. so this is really confusing now, but atleast i know the problem doesn't specifically pertain to any of my hardware..

is there anyway i could post a screenshot i have?

(would there be any reason for me to?)

16. Londor

Londor Guest

17. wazahere

wazahere Guest

Well, I may have found a solution...

apparently there's a problem with my video_ts folder layout...
    whatever the case, i'm gonna try some other dvds, see if this changes things. it was a little weird, however, because this error happened with 3 different dvds, all consecutively.

i'll update if i continue to have trouble.
    thanks again..

here's documentation for anyone with an error code = -108 problem:

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/toast/ETT0000025.jhtml

18. wazahere

wazahere Guest

alright, i think i've found the reason.

when i've been ripping with mactheripper, sometimes i use "main feature only" and when i do that, there is no video_ts.vob file in the folder. If i compress with dvdremaster, the program adds this file which is needed to burn.

does anyone know why this happens?