1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring copywrighted VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by pelletie, Nov 16, 2003.

1. pelletie

pelletie Member

Hi,

I own vhs movies (legal since I've purchased
    those movies) and want to transfer this
    material to DVD. But I can't "capture"
    the movies since the avi files have
    sound OK but images are truncated (only
    top of images are recorded). The "capture
    circuitry" is embedded within the graphics
    card (ATI AIW 9600 Pro) and trying to
    capture those movies with software provided
    by ATI says it won't record the movies
    since this is copywrighted material.

Also, I've tried other video capture
    softwares but the resulting avi files
    all have the same content.

So, is there anyone who can help me
    solve this problem?

2. vinwiesel

vinwiesel Guest

First of all, I would suggest that if you are going to do this, that you dont get rid of yor vhs originals. I may be wrong but I think it is legal to have a back up of your original, but you also have to have the original to provwe ownership.

Next, you said you were capturing AVI? if you have not yet tried and you have a dv camcorder, you may try recording from the vhs to the dv camcorder first, then capture from that dv tape to the capturecard/computer. OR, if you have a cam that will do it, run your vhs signal thru the cam which is connected to the computer card via firewire to be converted to dv on your hard drive.

hope I helped, maybe just made it worse.

3. pelletie

pelletie Member

Hi vinwiesel,

Yes indead I want to get rid of my original vhs tapes (i might keep those tapes for some time just to prove ownership but that's another issue).

No, I don't own a camcorder and I'm willing to borrow such a recorder (to use as a transfer mechanism) if no other solutions are available. But, at this time, I'm still looking for a solution that would not involve "external" transfer mechanism. Any other solution?

Thanks

4. vinwiesel

vinwiesel Guest

what are you using right now to get the video into your pc? you have a capture card that is capable of capturing analog, no?

for your copyright problem, if you don't want to keep the vhs, the only thing that would be maybe a legal solution and a way to prove ownership is for you to shoot very short video clips of yourself smashing the vhs original tape that you copied to dvd and put that clip at the beginning of each dvd for proof. in otherwords, video clip of you smashing Terminator 2 inserted on the Terminator DVD ahead of the beginning of the movie. When you bought the tape you were entitled to one original copy, but if you transfer to DVD and then sell your vhs originals, thats copyright infringement. same as copying rented videos of any kind.

let me know what your using on your pc for vid cap and I will try and help. I might be a little slow tho as I am doing some upgrading to my system right now.---vin

5. pelletie

pelletie Member

Hi vinwiesel,

As far as ownership of original vhs movies is concerned, no problem with that: here in Quebec (Canada), when one purchases a vhs movie, there's a small stamp that the owner affixes on the vhs package, which certifies legal ownership. So, I'll keep the stamp with the copy and voila!

As far as vid capture, i use an ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 Pro graphics card that has a builtin tuner and input/output connectors for video/audio. I'm using the analog inputs to input video and audio from vhs recorder. As I've explained in my original posting, if i capture some vhs tape that has, let's say, shows recorded from tv (no copyright) then no problem to capture such material. But, if i insert purchased movies in the vcr then audio is recorded OK but video frames are truncated (only upper part of video frames is captured, the rest being filled with some "plain color").

Now, the problem might be related to "TBC corrections" as suggested in http://www.lordsmurf.com/capture/vcrtbcsuggestions.htm
    since it seems from that article that vhs tapes where encoded with Macrovisions copy protection mechanism. But i might be way too far on my investigation to solve this issue. Perhaps the problem is something more easy to resolve.

Can all of this help? Do you feel I'm stuck with Macrovision copy protection mechanism?

Thanks

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, One thing you have to remember is that certain VHS tapes also have copy guard. It may cause brightness flashing and video unable to lock.If this is the case , you need a macrovision remover box in line with the video out of the VCR to your capture device. Macro remover boxes can be bougt for about $30. to $50. dollars on line. Jerry

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

It could just be that I'm on drugs or something and missing something obvious, but cant you just play the VHS in a standard VCR, connect the S-VideoOut to the S-VideoIn on your VidCard or use the RCA jacks? There isnt a way for the vcr to be able to tell between a TV and a videocard... a plug is a plug to a vcr....

8. pelletie

pelletie Member

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the advice. I've been studying this problem quite extensively and, after reading other forums, I've come up with the same conclusion: I will have to insert a device to get rid of copy guard protection. Some folks have reported the use of Sima SED-CM TBC unit, which is fairly cheap. It seems to work fine but the funny thing about all this is that I'm able to watch the movie on my computer (audio & video is fine) but as soon as I want to record the movie then video frames are truncated.

Now, for Preator, no you're not on drugs as I also expected that simply connecting the SVHS or RCA signal from vcr to frame grabber would work fine without any problem. But, from my readings, it seems that they've managed to insert "some signal" on the video channel which says that this is copyright material. This feature might also have limited the tranfer of such movies from vhs to vhs, as reported on other forums.

For the sake of those really interested in this issue, usefull information can be obtained at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/29552

Finally, I've read a lot of articles on this issue, realize that a lot of people raise the general issue on transferring vsh to dvd and all have the same or similar questions, which brings me to this: it would be nice to write a guide simply to collect all the info on this matter.

At this point, I believe that my only issue is to purchase the "small box" and insert it between vcr and frame grabber...

Anybody else has another solution on this?

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi pelletie, What most people don,t know about macrovision is that it is picked up on a chip in the VCR during record mode. Older vcrs don't have the chip. You can watch the tape all day long without a problem on any device and the macro won't do anything unless record is pushed. Back when I use to service that stuff, I use to remove or disable the chip for my friends. Now the chips are so small you almost can't see them. Jerry

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Also I forgot to mention that a similar type macro chip is in almost all recording devices. Thats how the signal knows the difference between a TV and another recording device. You can thank the government powers to be for that trick. Jerry

11. vinwiesel

vinwiesel Guest

Hi Pelletie,

I agree with the other post, it most probably is copy guard.

you can use a cheap guard remover such as the ones suggested in other posts. you can also use a panasonic wjave5 video/audio mixer if you want a little more control and some special efx if your all in wonder doesnt do that already. i used to own this box and it actual destroys the original signal and rebuilds it to a new one so your out put from it is rock solid and without copy gaurd even if your source is not.

another thing I might mention which others may or may not agree, is that I have heard some reports of the all in wonders giving different types of problems. on the other hand when they work, they work well. might consider a simple firewire 1394 ohci compliant card for capture to cut down on liklihood of troubles. they are also very cheap, you may already have one?

anyway, let us know the outcome, good day!--vin

12. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

I read somewhere that ATI had included the Macrovision protection in its driver base. The driver should be called either "atinmdxx.sys" or "ativmdxx.sys". ATI checks its video input for Macrovision and the All-In-Wonder cards also apply Macrovision to the TV output (if it's enabled) when you play DVDs. This might be your problem

13. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello, may I ask whether only VHS tapes has Macrovision Protection or it happens on LD as well. I intend to backup my LDs collection into DVD so do I need the Sima CopyMaster as well?