1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trimming/edting VOB files before burning

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Blurt, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Blurt

Blurt Member

If I want to trim down the size of a dvd to be ripped (but sticking to a single dvd), can I breeak it up into chapters using 0Sex, and then chuck out whichever chapters I decide to sacrifice?

Also, can I safely snip out segments of chapters by splitting and re-concatenating fragments parts of them using Terminal? This seems like a way to reduce the size of a chapter, while keeping part(s) of it.

I have tried to edit raw VOB files this way, but the dvd loses all control, so to say, so it can't be navigated.

Sorry for elementary questions.

Thanks, Blurt

2. Londor

Londor Guest

I am not sure if I understood what you want to do.

Is it how to fit a ripped DVD into a single DVD or how to edit a ripped DVD?

3. Blurt

Blurt Member

No. To be clearer: let's say I just wanted to start with a DVD and make a backup, but edit out some of it before burning it to a diskette. Or splice some of my own home movie files into it.

I know from using Terminal that you can't just snip out any sequence you want by splitting VOB files and then concatenating the fragments you want to keep....the control gets ruined, and the burned disk becomes unplayable.

I've converted VOB’s to various other formats using free apps, but the resulting files are too big to edit or are uneditable with the software that I own (nothing fancy).

How can I edit the VOB's (on a budget) and be able to make a playable DVD from the results? Elaborate intermediary steps are certainly acceptable to achieve the goal.

Thanks, Blurt

4. Londor

Londor Guest

You can using ffmpegX to convert the VOBs to DV using the DV Quick Preset.

iMovie only accepts clips that are less than 2GB (there is no size limit in FCE or FC Pro). So if the DV is bigger you need to split it in sections no bigger than 2GB. To do so you need QuickTime Pro. You can do it manually with the "copy/cut/paste" commands or you can use a script to do it for you.

http://www.oakstreetsoftware.com/qtscript.html

Once that all the clips are less than 2GB each then you can import them to iMovie and do your stuff.

When finished just export the project to iDVD, create your own menu and burn the DVD.

The only software you need to buy is QT Pro that is $25.

5. Blurt

Blurt Member

Thank you for the great help to a beginner. Blurt