1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a Mac and Trying to get Movies on External HDD

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by jrod81, May 21, 2008.

1. jrod81

jrod81 Member

Okay guys,
    So, I am taking a long road trip this summer and will be on the road for 7 weeks. I really don't want to take my dvds (burnt or original) on the road and have to keep up with the binder and what not. I want to just throw as many movies as I can onto an external hard drive and then watch them on my laptop from there.
    So I have a MacBook Pro. Could someone help me out on this? What software do I need (MacTheRipper, DVD2One, Toast???). A step by step would be beautiful!
    thanks in advance
    jared

2. jrod81

jrod81 Member

Just so you know... I did read the tutorial at the top of the mac threads, but that is for burning. I can give MacTheRipper a shot tomorrow and just see if I can drag the ripped file to an external but I am thinking the computer won't understand? Am I wrong or will I not be able to watch the movie from the mactheripper file?

3. jrod81

jrod81 Member

well i have been messing with it this morning using mac the ripper, handbrake/mpeg streamclip... handbrake is taking 4 hours or so per movie. I have moved the bit rate down to 1300, but have left the 2 pass encoding on. Can someone help me figure out how to get this done faster or is that just the price to pay with Handbrake?

4. varnull

varnull Guest

You could give acidrip a try? It's a linux program but you should be able to run the bsd version.