1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS TO DVD with editing

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by WTCAMB, Feb 12, 2004.

1. WTCAMB

WTCAMB Member

I am a newbie. I have old vhs family video tapes. I have a Sansui combination vhs/dvd recorder which will let me dub these tapes to a dvd-r or dvd-rw. I also have a NEC DVD +RW ND-1100 A burner on my pc. I would like to edit out some of the scenes on the videos on my dvd after dubbing. Using dvd shrink it creates VIDEO_TS files. They come up like VTS_01_1, etc.
    What type of editing program do I need? Most will not recognize these type files. I have Adobe Premiere 6.5., but it is looking for different type files, not the one I get on my DVD. I have no capture device because I thought after dubbing to a DVD, I might be able to edit. Do I need a capture device to do this to do this or do I need some special software?

2. taclark

taclark Guest

I've been searching for an answer to the same question, and my following response is based on what I've read, but not tried. I'm still searching for an authoritative, definitive answer, but I can provide you with a little information.

First of all, I'd forget about trying to capture. You've already got the video in a digital format by converting to DVD. We need a good way to work within that digital format.

Once you convert your tapes, the DVD contains VOB files that Premiere won't import. I've read that these files can be decoded to AVI with HuffYUV, which would then of course allow premiere to import them. An alternative approach would be to use an MPEG editor such as MPEG2VCR to edit the VOB files. However, such editing is limited to cutting and pasting--no transitions or effects.

I don't know anything more about HuffYUV and MPEG2VCR and am eager to hear if these options are the best way to go or if there is a better solution.

3. taclark

taclark Guest

4. phuong61

phuong61 Member

you can use TMPGenc to split the VOB file to .M2V and .PM2, then remutiplex it to .MPG or download a free VOBEDIT, use the function Demux, load your .VOB files, it will give you video and audio files. Then use TMPGEnc to mutiplex you will have a .mpeg file