1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

add subtitle to DVD-r?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dante, Jul 22, 2002.

1. dante

dante Member

i want to add subtitle to my movie and burn it to DVD-r. so how can i do that, please hel pme out

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Not very specific, don't you think?

In what format your movie is now? DVD? AVI/DivX? VCD? SVCD? CVD?

In what format you have the subtitles?

Do you want to have the subtitles "burnt" on the video (so you can't turn them on/off) or?

3. neko_loco

neko_loco Guest

Since it's a week later, I'll piggy-back on this post and ask...

I have a 2-part AVI/DivX rip of a film. I have the subs for each part in .srt format. What I want to do is burn them both to (preferrably) 1 DVD or (less desireably) 2 VCDs.

My problem is...how the heck do I make the subs a permanent part of the vid file? I would like to have the ability to turn the subs on/off, but will go with whatever method is easier. Hopefully the end result being playable in my standalone Panasonic. Hopefully... :)

Thanks for any help!

4. neko_loco

neko_loco Guest

ok, forget the adding subs to VCD, please...I finally read far enough back in the posts (yes, I DO use the search function before posting, I swear!) and found this http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/4404

However, I do still want a newbie's guide to adding them for DVD, for the least conversion possible.

Thanks again for the patience & advice!

5. dRD

For DVD, I'm not too familiar with the authoring tools like Scenarist or DVDIt and what format they need to get the DVD subs in, so unfortunately I can't really help on that one.

Anyone else?

6. geemix

geemix Guest

Hiya,

It is indeed very possible to add subtitles back to DVD. I used DVDMaestro for this.

You need to rip your subtitles first of all from DVD (or you could always download them from http://www.subtitles.cz/en/ (various formats available).

Before you can import them to DVDMaestro, you need to do a few conversions. It only takes about 10 mins after you know what you are doing.

Check out this guide:

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/maestro.htm

It explains it all better than I could here (sorry for posting doom9 links, but it is a good resource after all).

Anyway, my subs were apprx 9 seconds too late in playing, so I searched the web and found a neat util called Subsync:

http://users.pandora.be/vlad/subsync/

Just load your sub files and select Edit Subtitles then the SHIFT option. Enter the value and all subs will be moved + or - to the desired frame(s) :) Very nice app indeed.

I am happy to say that getting subs onto a DVD-R was so easy with the guides above and the appz used.

Give it a try. Like I said tho, this is for DVDMaestro. DVDit does not allow subs :(

Not sure what other authoring packages do. But Maestro was a joy to use from start to finish and I have subs I can turn on/off on my dvd's now.

Hope that helps?

7. neko_loco

neko_loco Guest

Excellent!

Thanks, I'm gonna try that out tonight...

8. tgalaj

tgalaj Member

geemix! How can you suggest to use $37,000 (yes, thirty seven THOUSAND) package to add own subtitles! You are responding to "newbis"!

neco_loco! Did you try it that night?

But seriuosly: is ther any cheeper way to add subtitles to the DVD-R? Don't suggest ReelDVD ($1,500) or Pinnacle DVD-Pro ($400).

9. jameskoh

jameskoh Guest

Hey, can I download DVDMaestro from the net? Where to buy it? No more in the market? Why there's someone says $37,000 to teach a NEWBIE? How much actually is DVDMaestro? I am another NEWBIE and I am asking : is there any way to add a brand new subtitle to my DVD movies by using freewares or at least not paying that much of money like a professional Hollywood movie making company??? Thank you!

10. dRD

jameskoh: Yes, with IFOEdit -- complicated, but its possible to do. Some hints you can get by reading our AVI to DVD guide from our guides section.

11. jameskoh

jameskoh Guest

Hi dRD, I have ifoEdit downloaded as well but don't know how to use it. I actually downloaded all the softwares which I read from the guides but the guides are not dummy for NEWBIE like me so I don't move any step so far. Would you pls guide me step by step on how to use that ifoEdit? Any other software I need to have to do so? Or any dummy guide in your links? Please let me know as I am eager to creat new Chinese subtitles for my parents, thanks.