1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

airtunes modding

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by krinone, Nov 16, 2006.

1. krinone

krinone Member

Hi all I'm posing this messege with high hopes....

I just got my new wireless router, the most recent airport express with airtunes, and I was wondering if there was any way that I can get the music feature (itunes to my stereo) to play other non itunes music, i.e a dvd in playing from the computer...in reading the instructions and it seems only to be compatible with itunes, although I cannot test it out untill I get home from work...anybody know if this is possible? or am I stuck with just itunes in my stereo from the router???

Thanks all,

Krinone

2. krinone

krinone Member

bump!

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I had trouble understanding what you were trying to accomplish. Can you please restate the question.

4. krinone

krinone Member

i want to mod my airport wireless station so that i can play audio to my stereo that isnt just comming from itunes. in other words the airport extreeme only allows music to be sent to my stereo if its comming out of itunes, however, if i have a movie on my laptop and want to send the audio feed to the stereo i would have to plug it in directly not utilise the wireless feature....

here is the link to app;e showing what i have

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=182E4B7C&nplm=M9470LL/A

much apreciated,

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

What you want is a program called JustePort. The infamous "DVD Jon" cracked the encryption of the Airport Express to allow music from other media players to be streamed through it. I guess the only catch is that the music has to be a .m4a file (Apple Lossless). But its been a while so plugins may have been developed to allow Mp3 content and such to be streamed also. And dont worry, this guys legit and everybody at Afterdawn will back me up on that :)

Heres a Afterdawn news article about it....
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/5481.cfm

A link to the software.... (how its run is beyond me)
    http://nanocrew.net/software/justeport/

Yes it is limited but, it is a solution and currently the only piece of software that will let you stream audio to your Airport Express without iTunes. You may also be interested in the program called QTFairuse. Here is a link to download the software....
    http://www.sirus20x6.com/phpnuke/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=21

It is a small program written by the same person, DVD Jon, and what it does is strip your iTunes Music Store bought music of the DRM it has. The version is made to work with iTunes ver. 7.0 it may work with a higher or lower version but I can not tell you for sure as I have never needed to use it.

6. Londor

Londor Guest

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Go with Landors suggestion of AirFoil. It is a vastly superior option, and one I am glad he/she posted (thank you).

8. krinone

krinone Member

Landor,
    your suggestion rocks however, there is a fee for using that prog any help with this? anyone??

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

10. krinone

krinone Member

Thanks Peainapod, but this web site sells it for the same price as everywhere else?? am i overlooking something?? does anyone have it already by anychance?? lol i know its along shot...

11. Londor

Londor Guest

12. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@krinone

I know their selling it, thats why I linked you to it. You seem to be very satisfied with this program. So wouldn't the appropriate thing to do be to support the writers of this program by buying the program for US $25? If you can afford a AirTunes Express. highspeed internet, then you should be able to afford a $25 dollar fee for the program.