1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ameican movie, foreign talking, no subtitles, .avi ???

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by liammay79, Sep 9, 2009.

1. liammay79

liammay79 Member

Hi,

New to downloading, new to AfterDawn.

I've downloaded several .avi files and there's no text accompanying the foreign conversations. Example is Syriana; this movie depends on subtitles, so where are they? These downloads generally have no .srt or .sub files in folder. Is this the reason? I downloaded subs but was unable/unwilling to marry them before I gained insight. Do people actually rip copies with no subs for such movies?

I use up-to-date versions of QT & VLC.

Any help is much appreciated. Thnx!

2. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

If you are trying to creat a dvd, you can use a program such as dvd flick to combine the movie with the subtitle file. Some do rips of movie only....with no subs. Others hard code the subs, which mean they are on the video file and don't need a seperate subtitle file.

3. liammay79

liammay79 Member

Than you. I am not trying to do anything with a DVD. Just trying to wrap my head around whether I am getting bogus files or if I need to do something more. My logic is...

Rent movie, foreign conversations, didn't have to select subs in menu = download should be the same and automatically include subtitles during foreign conversations
    Rent foreign language movie, must select subs = must have sub file to accompany .avi

From your reply I'm now thinking this is flawed. It appears I will have to do more and will look into marrying subtitle files with the .avi so I can watch the movies in QT or VLC. As I have seen, this site has ample information regarding this.

Thanks again.