1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appending data to DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rallegro, Jul 31, 2003.

1. rallegro

rallegro Member

I am sort of new to burning onto DVD media so please bare with me....I have purchased some new Maxell DVD-R's and have burned some data to them....when i try ot add more data to them later on, my burning software tells me to insert appendable media into the drive and doesnt let me append anything to the disc...i cant figure it out! Is it the software im using or is it the media im buying...HELP!!!

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

If you want to burn again and again you either need to buy DVD-RW media instead of DVD-R, or create a multi session disc. I've never done this yet with DVD, but I'm guessing the theory is similar to CD-R. If you completely close out a disc it cannot be written to again. But if you use multi session, you can then re-open the disc and add files to the data disc.

3. rallegro

rallegro Member

With CD-R's, the software automatically makes the disc multi-session, unless you specify otherwise (to close after burning)..i thought that this theory applied to DVD burning as well...i will try your suggestion w/ the DVD-Rw and trying to burn multi-session and let you know....thanx for the help!

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

If there's anything I've discovered with burning DVD's, is it isn't nearly as slick as CD's.

I just checked another thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/43437 and I think there is a setting withing your burning program that needs to be set before you start burning. Unlike CD's however, many DVD-ROM drives won't be able to read the discs.